I want Multi Boot Sys with WinXP & Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

k_blues24

Journeyman
Hi 2 All,
frnds I want ur help abt this issue. I dont know anything about Linux. How 2 install it I dont know, I have Knopix 4.0 live cd pls help me

Pathik

Google Bot
if u dunno ny thing abt linux.....
then jus boot 4m ur knoppix cd rom after rebooting......
btw good to see so many ppl experimenting wit linux... :)

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
for necomers like you, puppy linux is a cute and fast linux distribution. the download is also very small(about 50-70mb). I am also a newcomer to linux. I found this distribution very nice. You may also experiment with Mandriva 2006.

plsoft

Journeyman
Though u can install from the Knoppix live cd, there are reports that some features don't work (more like bugs) after installing them in the hard disk. So it's better to run Knoppix from the CD itself. You can also try Ubuntu or Mandriva 2006, they are extremely easy to use.

rocksmart1

Right off the assembly line
U CAN INSTALL KNOPPIX LIVE CD TO HDD BY SIMPLY OPENING ROOTSHELL AND TYPING *knx2hd* THATS ALL.IT WILL INSTALL AUTOMATICALLY ITSELF.

cpyder

CpyderGraphix
Well, I have recently installed Ubuntu (Dapper Drake). and I am hooked. The installation was a breeze. It is highly intutive making your movement from Windows to linux a smooth ride. It comes as a Live CD/DVD. You may download from the You can even order for CD absolutely free of cost from directly Ubuntu! *shipit.ubuntu.com/
I have not even booted into Windows in last three weeks. I tried FC5, SUSE 10.1 but nothing came close. You may give it a try.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
rocksmart1 said:
U CAN INSTALL KNOPPIX LIVE CD TO HDD BY SIMPLY OPENING ROOTSHELL AND TYPING *knx2hd* THATS ALL.IT WILL INSTALL AUTOMATICALLY ITSELF.

But what abt partitions ???

Is it keep original Windows Partitions ???

I want DUAL BOOT !!!!

mediator

Technomancer
Hi @k_blues, knoppix is pretty cool. No need to switch to other distros! About bugs dont worry. I never faced them though I had installed knoppix 4 and 5 both. NEways before installing it to hardisk u need to know one thing i.e partitions. I hope u know hda1 refers to 1st partitions of primary master. If u dont then brush up about it. Thats very important.

Next to install knoppix, boot it from cd. When all ready, fire up the command terminal and type "su". This will will bring u to root mode. Here type "knoppix-installer". This will start the hardisk installation.

It will ask u all information before making final actions. It will ask u which partition to use for root (i.e "/") and swap. Dont mess up around with windows partition, and allot the non-windows partitions. i.e if u have 3 partitions, windows on hda1, then allot hda2 for root and hda3 for swap.

Next is the size, knoppix takes like 2-3 GB. SO i recommend to allot around 10 GB of space to root partitions. For swap u can give it around 500 MB if u dont use heavy stuff like ORACLE( in that case 1-1.5Gb ) .

Thats all, start the installation. Further configs like network config can be done after install too!

Anindya

In the zone
Even I am planning to switch! But since i dont know any command i would like to know in which distros`s live cd do i have to use minimal CLI or no commands at all. If i have to use commands then what r those comm.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Anindya, You can try Knoppix Live CD/DVD. It gives you the feel of Linux environment.
You can refer to @Gary's post Introduction to Linux Click here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom