i need a sftwr to lock my computer while i am away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tango_cash

In the zone
hi i downlod stuff from internet and usually i leave my p.c on while it is dwnloding.i shut down my monitor.it takes hours to dwnlod things as i have a slow connection.
now my problem is that when i leave my p.c for downloding my roommates start chatting/orkutting and other useless stuff :evil::evil::evil:and it sucks all the bandwith which could help in downloding faster:mad::mad::mad:.
i want to know abt softwares which can help me to lock my p.c while i am away;).some kind of password protection thing like the screen saver.
but i do not want it to affect my downloding in any way.

sre06

Broken In
ya ok you can contact me i think i have one i will search for you i have in some cd i have to serach i will send you

gg_3000

Broken In
Asking for passwd while returning 2 windows from a screensaver would also serve the purpose!

jal_desai

In the zone
arey yaar ... jab ghee seedhi ungli se nikalta hai..to ungli tedhi karne ki kya zarurat hai. No hi-fi software required to stop ur room mates... i guess u r the administrator... make one password (if u dont have one) ... whenever u leave... press WIN+L.... simple and fast

OP
tango_cash

tango_cash

In the zone
alright now i have decided to make a guest a/c for my roommates how do i put restrictions on it like-:
1. they can't install sftwrs
2. they cannot access certain folders
3. i can track what they did on the p.c like which websites they viewed.
and other such stuff.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
^^^Alright??? This is what you give for so many suggesting you solutions? Learn to say 'Thanks' atleast.

B

brutality9k

tango_cash said:
alright now i have decided to make a guest a/c for my roommates how do i put restrictions on it like-:
1. they can't install sftwrs
2. they cannot access certain folders
3. i can track what they did on the p.c like which websites they viewed.
and other such stuff.

1 & 2, use gpedit.msc, make a limited user account in Windows XP, u will be the admin & then use gpedit.msc to provide restrictions

3 , use event viewer in Windows, it can tell u anything which happened in the computer

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Just type gpedit.msc in RUn dialog box and it'll open a windows :)

Now go thru all available options and u'll get many interesting things ;)

OP
tango_cash

tango_cash

In the zone
i have create a limited user a/c now cud u tell me where in gpedit is the option to
1. disable clearing private data in internet exsplorer
2. disable installin any sftwr
3. disable folder options
4. disable control panel,regedit.etc
for the new a/c i have created

Vyasram

The pWnster
easier way, password protect all accounts
and schedule the downloads in dload manager schedule the dload manager u wanna run in scheduled tasks under ur username and password

download happens without logging in and ur frnds cant use the system

OP
tango_cash

tango_cash

In the zone
Vishal Gupta said:
Just type gpedit.msc in RUn dialog box and it'll open a windows :)

Now go thru all available options and u'll get many interesting things ;)
i changed a lot of things in the gpedit but it is affecting both my a/c(i.e adminstrator) and the limited user a/c i created.
i only want to put the restrictions in the new limited user a/c that i created.
here is a screenshot my user accounts
*img372.imageshack.us/img372/566/useraccntfx1.th.jpg

also when i logged in the other user and tried to use gpedit it gave the following error
*img476.imageshack.us/img476/6673/gperroreq3.th.jpg

and

*img167.imageshack.us/img167/4594/gperror1ol0.th.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom