I need a fool proof PC configuration

lonewolf

Broken In
Hi all gurus :)

I need a mid level configuration. Don't need UPS, Monitor, peripherals, mouse...etc. I just need a fool proof configuration for the "box" :p

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Photoshop, Illustrator, video editing softwares (rendering jobs etc). Games like GTA 4 at mid level details, if possible.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 15 - 20k

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Win 7

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 250 gb

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Dont need monitor.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: UPS, Mouse, Key board, peripherals. Just need a configuration for the "box"

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: within a month

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes but here is a catch. I have assembled PCs in the past but I have little idea of latest cabinet and how they fit. I can take the help of an assembler but the configuration should be "fool proof" as I am going to buy most of the parts from online stores.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: NE India. Mostly online.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I would really appreciate any help :)

Last edited:

The Sorrow

New to this forum
Intel core i3 2120 - 7k
Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H - 3.3k
G.Skill RipjawsX 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM - 1.6k
500GB @ 7200rpm SATA 2 Hard Disk capacity - 3.9k
Cosair CX430 V2 430Watts PSU - 2.7k
Cooler Master Elite 310 ATX - 2.0k
Total - around 21k(flipkart)
With a good graphic card later, like gigabyte hd 7770 it'll cost 30k
{your talking about a mid gaming rig hope you understand.:)}
Configuration above is somewhere between entry level gaming and mid gaming rig. If you already have a cabinet i.e what you call "the box" then remove cooler master elite 310 atx from the list.

Last edited:
OP
L

lonewolf

Broken In
Thanks for the info.

Can Anyone throw some light on the FX 4100 processor... I think it will be cheaper couple with an Asus M5A78L-M LX MB.

OP
L

lonewolf

Broken In
I3 Can trash the FX 4100 . But you can also go for Phenom 960T @ 7K

Hi Sai,

Thanks for the reply

So which one should I go for - i3 or Phenom 960t?

btw one more noob question, is it possible to take out the smps from my older wipro cabinet (came with an inbuilt type SMPS) and fit a new corsair 450w?

OP
L

lonewolf

Broken In
ps I saw that the FX 4100 is one of the most popular processors in Flipkart plus better specs than 960t. So why the price difference? :blink:

Utkarsh Sharma

Journeyman
because it has some issues regarding windows 7. But it is a great overclocker. Many reviewers oc'ed it up to 1GHz with the stock cooler.

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
btw one more noob question, is it possible to take out the smps from my older wipro cabinet (came with an inbuilt type SMPS) and fit a new corsair 450w?

If the older one was ATX compliant then Corsair will fit in..
Else pick up ruler measure for yourself by checking dimensions @ corsair website

because it has some issues regarding windows 7. But it is a great overclocker. Many reviewers oc'ed it up to 1GHz with the stock cooler.

I agree & also mind that Bulldozer architecture is failure @ Windows.. :-(
You have to use some other OS ( linux etc...) to use it to fullest.. :wink:

OP
L

lonewolf

Broken In
Many thanks for the replies :) Really helps.
I am a little inclined towards AMD this time (never used it before).

How does the phenom 960t compare against i3?

btw Any views / comments on this MB - ASUS M5A78L-M LE?

The Sorrow

New to this forum
Many thanks for the replies :) Really helps.
I am a little inclined towards AMD this time (never used it before).

How does the phenom 960t compare against i3?

btw Any views / comments on this MB - ASUS M5A78L-M LE?

intel i3 2120 beats unclocked phenom 960t. If plan to go for 960t then you'll should have to plan for a good motherboard which may cost 2-3k extra.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
^^ Using M4A88M-LE have the only disadvantage of sacrificing the OC'ing ability of 960T due to lower power phase.

OP
L

lonewolf

Broken In
Couldn't find the 960t anywhere online, is it discontinued??

Actually I was referring to this MB - ASUS M5A78M LE and not ASUS M4A88M LE. The second one will go beyond my budget :)

The Sorrow

New to this forum
Couldn't find the 960t anywhere online, is it discontinued??

Actually I was referring to this MB - ASUS M5A78M LE and not ASUS M4A88M LE. The second one will go beyond my budget :)

i think so, along with all 9xx series including black editions. I was told by my local dealer

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
@D6bmg
You are Right . But everything should be between 15 to 20K .
@ OP
When games start to use More than 2 or 3 Cores Phenom 960T would benefit and it is also a Overclocker .

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Ah! Now I can see that too.
Now you can either buy FX6100 or go for APU based config. Don't ever think of FX4100. Really.

OP
L

lonewolf

Broken In
I could find a Phenom 955t black edition from the local dealer. But he is charging Rs. 6900 for it.

I wonder how the FX 4100 became a best seller in FK with tons of good reviews. :shock:

Top Bottom