i find rmvb much better...

Status
Not open for further replies.

manmay

Journeyman
with due regards to the thread run by maverickrohan some time back abt the video codecs...(but i think he didnt consider the real media.....anyway..), i find the real media variable bitrate better than all those others divx xvids and vp62 ...

i am using a freeware tool easy real media tools for converting purpose...
and the settings are...
70% quality avg 450kb bitrate with peak of 900kb variable.
video noise reduction low.
audio gain 4-6...as needed.
real codec 10.

and yes i would like to mention that the output in real media using softwares like winavi was not up to the mark...so had to switch over to easy rael media tools...moreover this one provides some nice and useful advanced settings

yest i converted the DCH movie original vcd to *.rmvb
using the settings mentions ed above.
originally the movie is of 3 cd totalling to abt 1.9 gigs.
after conversion the output was totalling 688 mb almost 1/3 and the video quality was really commendable...seriously try out for yourself.

for storing the movies on dvds it really good yaar...

i dont know whether its becoz of this tool or smething else but just try it out urself...

the conversion speed was less than divx or vp62.
on my rig...
amd 64 3000+ 939 pin msi rs480m2 512 mb running at 1.9 ghz...
the frame rate achieved was 25 fps +- 5

some more information is invited and so r your comments...

manmay
dawn is a natural indication by nature to you to go to sleep

G

gxsaurav

rmvb is good but just like vp7 & there own player, it need Real player to play properly, unlike DivX which can be played on any Directshow compatible video player.

the popularity of real player isn't that much either, if u can manageto like it, it's one of the most compleate players out there, it's just it bugs a lot to upgrade, u have to apply a crack for this naging to go even if u r using the free version, as it still says, "upgrade to pro",

DivX 6.1 do try it, u got an athlon64 it will really help in encoding times, also u need to configure a video codec properly before using it, one size & bitrate doesn't fit all

OP
M

manmay

Journeyman
kindly elaborate
"...also u need to configure a video codec properly before using it, one size & bitrate doesn't fit all"

please...

slugger

Banned
gxsaurav said:
rmvb is good but just like vp7 & there own player, it need Real player to play properly
well i played an rmvb file in winamp.
just rename d extension from *.rmvb 2 *.mpg and it played without a hitch

OP
M

manmay

Journeyman
your renaming didnt do this magic slugger.
its becoz the codecs for rmvb hav already been incorporated in your system so now u can play the file any played.
u can even play the rmvb file in windows media player.

do u think WMP supports the real format traditionally.?

slugger

Banned
i got real alt installed.
but i tried 2 plat the file wit ext *.rmvb in winamp but it did not play. it was only after i renamed d ext 2 *.mpg did it start playing [actually d first time i tried playing it after renaming, my sys just hung, but since den i faced no problem]

dabster

In the zone
You can use Codec Packs to play the rmvb movie in the Windows media player itself....It si not necessary to play in real player only

slugger

Banned
manmay said:
do u think WMP supports the real format traditionally.?
yup u r right. the file stopped playing once i uninstalled real alt.
btw downloaded d sw, THNX A TON MAN. will try it out
but d Qs still remains. Y did d file play in Winamp only after I renamed d ext and not before

OP
M

manmay

Journeyman
winamp does not recognize this format.
generally softwares just check the extension of the file to check its compatibility.
by changing the ext u made a fool out of winamp by making it think that this is a playable foramt. and becoz the codec were already installed so it was able to play the file.
try this.
make a .rar archive using winrar.
suppose name it try.rar
now change the ext to .jpg
the icon for the rar file will change to the application that handles the jpgs
now u double click the file . u will c nothing.
now right click the file and select open with and choose winrar.
winrar will obviously open it coz its actually a rar file.

Opensource rules. Go XviD.

If you can't get better quality using Xvid as compared to RMVB (for the bitrates you've mentioned), you're doing something wrong. Check out the doom9 yearly codec shootouts. Also get Gordian Knot and a good guide on encoding using Xvid in GK.

Cheers,
Keith

OP
M

manmay

Journeyman
hey bizzare blue pl tell us what was the size of input file and out file. and the settings that u had kept.

bizzare_blue

Journeyman
The input file size was 1.31 GB and the output file size 385 MB...I kept the as u had mentioned in this thread i.e. 70% quality, audio gain 6 and Real codec 10....

The input file was a VCD....the input n output files had no visible difference but vol was increased so overall a gud exp with rmvb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom