I am in deep trouble,please help

MamuMogambo

Broken In
I am in deep trouble, need help.
So, here's my story:
I know its long but please bear with me.
I was in my neigbour's house and was using his PC. I found it to be painfully slow. I installed an antivirus, scanned the PC, found virus and cleaned it. It was much better than before. I proud myself on my knowledge of software part of a computer (I am not an expert in any way, but better than the pople around me. Now, that I think of it, the people around me haven't raised the bar too high).
Anyways, one of my favourite things to do is to reinvent a PC.
When my neighbour arrived back from his 9 to 9 job, I told him about the virus (he doesn't know anything about computers, so apparently it was a big deal for him). I offered to clean his PC for him. He agreed and also told me about the computer making some noises (his CPU cooling fan). I told him that I will look into it. I did whatever I could to clean Windows and finally decided to reinstall it, install latest drivers etc. Before doing that I decided to clean the compuetr hardware. I opened the cabinet and discovered a lot of dust on the CPU cooling fan. I was in the zone I knew nothing about. Naturally, I wanted to learn (after all it was not my computer). I took the cooling fan off and cleaned it off all the dust. This is the part where I think I screwed up. I reinstalled the fan without using any thermal paste (I didn't have any). I tried turning the computer on but couldn't see anything on the monitor but I did hear various kinds of beep sounds. The computer turned itself off within a few seconds. I opened the cabinet again, checked all the wires and put all the things back again. This time I heard the beeps again and a messeage flashed on the monitor which I don't remember exactly but it was something like this, "your system turned off previously due to your CPU getting overheated" and the system turned off again. I tried to turn it back on but failed. Since then I have opened the case and checked all the wires hundreds of times but I am still unable to see anything onscreen. I told my neigbour's wife that the computer is not turning back on and assured her that I will do something about it tomorrow and she will probably cover up for me till then. My neighbour (I hope) won't try to use the computer till then.
Please help........................

Theodre

In the zone
I think this because you didn't install the cooling fan mate! You have to install the cooling fan with thermal paste which will be available in a computer shop! It also acts as a coolant between the exhaust fan and the CPU!! If you are scared of doing it yourself help is the thing you must ask as if the computer gets damaged you will have to pay. If the owner still don't know what's going on, jsut tell to him that the thermal paste should be applied every 6-months or 1 year!!

Hope this will solve your problem --> Installation and removing guide

OP
M

MamuMogambo

Broken In
Thanx NikiNfOur for the reply. I think the CPU is fried. I might have to replace it. Is their any way to check if the CPU is working or not

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
it is hard to fry a cpu now-a-days because most processor turn off automatically after crossing a certain temp.no harm in trying again with thermal paste.if there is any display then it means cpu is working.

OP
M

MamuMogambo

Broken In
Thank you all for replying, I will buy the thermal paste and try again. Hope it works. Thanks again for your help. But I am still sceptical. If thermal paste would have been the only problem it would have atleast started

Theodre

In the zone
You can try applying thermal paste and try to stick it as the above link says and after switching the PC if the harddisk light in the cabinet blinks, it tells you that the CPU is working fine!! Other than that i dont know any expert opinion on this matter mate.....

Do clean the SMPS fan of the back side by taking out as much dirt as possible with ear buds like thing,BUT DON'T OPEN THE SMPS BOX Because this can also help it to cool it down..

Theodre

In the zone
Not sure but this could be possibly because you haven't installed the CPU properly! Yous should be able to keep the Processor perfectly in the space provided for the processor. And above it gently apply the thermal paste and then the fan...

OP
M

MamuMogambo

Broken In
I didn't meddle with the processor at all. I just took the fan off

And one more question:
I am new to forums. Is there any protocol that I should follow if people help me. I am talking about forums in general

Theodre

In the zone
You should read the forum rules and play accordingly :) Harsh behaviour , Disrespectful commenting about a member, explicit or sexual talks everything is discouraged :) Spamming and trolling too

Forum rules

OP
M

MamuMogambo

Broken In
You should read the forum rules and play accordingly :) Harsh behaviour , Disrespectful commenting about a member, explicit or sexual talks everything is discouraged :) Spamming and trolling too

Forum rules
Thank you NikiNfOuR, I will try to do whatever I can about my problem. I hope that I find some thermal paste and able to solve the problem. Thank you again for all your help

Hrishi

Maybe you bent some pins on the socket .
And AFAIK , if the motherboard is giving Beeps then chances are that CPU is not fried yet.[ Its hard to fry a modern day CPu because they automatically power-down if they exceed a certain temp.]

If possible can you post some details on the Beep-Sequence and the model and manufacturer of CPU and MoBo.
That can help us identify the troubled component depending on beep sequence.

Theodre

In the zone
That's true. It gives the beep because to indicate warning about something tha tis not going well as it is suppose to :)

Thank you NikiNfOuR, I will try to do whatever I can about my problem. I hope that I find some thermal paste and able to solve the problem. Thank you again for all your help

Have a good time in TDF :)

@Rishi : That's true. It gives the beep because to indicate warning about something that is not going well as it is suppose to :)

Hrishi

If its not feasible for you to find an actual thermal paste , then for temporary use to test the component you can try using Tootpaste as an alternate.
Make sure to take all the precautions before using it , its not advisable as such , but it can be handy.

Theodre

In the zone
If its not feasible for you to find an actual thermal paste , then for temporary use to test the component you can try using Tootpaste as an alternate.
Make sure to take all the precautions before using it , its not advisable as such , but it can be handy.

I think he should do it with thermal paste because :

1. The PC is not his.
2. He haven't done it before.

OP
M

MamuMogambo

Broken In
Well I did try the toothpaste, it didn't help. I think I have found the problem. Since I have damaged the pins, I think I will have to buy a new cooler (because apparently the cooler is not applying enough pressure on the processor). I will also apply some thermal paste after cleaning the old one

Well I did try the toothpaste, it didn't help. I think I have found the problem. Since I have damaged the pins, I think I will have to buy a new cooler (because apparently the cooler is not applying enough pressure on the processor). I will also apply some thermal paste after cleaning the old one

Hrishi

1. The PC is not his.

Lol , Of Course.
But in case if he is not able to find a Thermal.P. , then its better to use toothpaste that rather than not using one.

OP
M

MamuMogambo

Broken In

1. The PC is not his.
Well, I know toothpaste can help in absorbing heat but it doesn't last long (less than 12 hours) and then it becomes crusty. I know all the theory. Its just that I haven't done the practicals. I know about the hardware. I think I just needed some practise.

Top Bottom