hvng trouble in linux agn

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayanks_098

world is evil
ok i installed ubuntu n sab.nw im facing some problms.

in ubuntu:
1. Im unable to play my music in amarok.it just doesnt play nethng except 4 a inbuilt welcome message.i cant even add nethng.wen i add sumthng a clock like thing appears n den it hangs.

2. Beryl doesnt auto start.i added it to d panel bt afterbooting i hv to clik on d icon on d panel to get it startd.n also d pc goes v slow.even rotating cube is a prob even though now i hv 2gb ram.how do i make it auto start n how do i make it working smoothly.?
i hv 2gig ram n no gfx.i hv most of the effects enabled.

nw sabayon:

1. all those effects which compelled me to use sabayon r gone.i mean nothing is working even though beryl is enabled.d toolbars r black instead of cherry red,no cube,no 3d effects,no wobbly windows nothng.
i guess u ppl wer rit,its nt stable.
bt newez,as i installd it,can i hv it wrkng.?i tried enabling diff things bt din help.wat cud be d prob.

n also wen i chose aglx as hadrware acceleration,it goes back to no acceleration d very next moment.i mean aglx hardware acc is also nt wrkng

praka123

left this forum longback
mayanks_098 said:
ok i installed ubuntu n sab.nw im facing some problms.

in ubuntu:
1. Im unable to play my music in amarok.it just doesnt play nethng except 4 a inbuilt welcome message.i cant even add nethng.wen i add sumthng a clock like thing appears n den it hangs.

2. Beryl doesnt auto start.i added it to d panel bt afterbooting i hv to clik on d icon on d panel to get it startd.n also d pc goes v slow.even rotating cube is a prob even though now i hv 2gb ram.how do i make it auto start n how do i make it working smoothly.?
i hv 2gig ram n no gfx.i hv most of the effects enabled.
1.it may be related to sound server.in menu System>preferences>sound,in the "sound" tab make sure Enlighten sound is disabled(no tick).in "devices" tab make autodetect as default.
2.IN menu System>preferences>Sessions>Start up programs,u can add "beryl-manager" to get beryl started.as with pc going slow :/ i dont find any answer.may be u dont have swap enabled.and ur RAM is not detected completely.just to confirm,use in a terminal and paste the o/p here in the thread.
Code:
:~$ free -m

OP
mayanks_098

mayanks_098

world is evil
praka123 said:
1.it may be related to sound server.in menu System>preferences>sound,in the "sound" tab make sure Enlighten sound is disabled(no tick).in "devices" tab make autodetect as default.
2.IN menu System>preferences>Sessions>Start up programs,u can add "beryl-manager" to get beryl started.as with pc going slow :/ i dont find any answer.may be u dont have swap enabled.and ur RAM is not detected completely.just to confirm,use in a terminal and paste the o/p here in the thread.
Code:
:~$ free -m

here is d output:

mayank@mayank:~$ free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 2019 659 1359 0 150 285
-/+ buffers/cache: 223 1795
Swap: 1427 0 1427
mayank@mayank:~$

mehulved said:
I could help you with sabayon problems if your language came with an interpreter.

sry yaar.actually i was in real hurry while typing that.

newez,i meant nothing(dat means literally nothing) is wroking.
i can only get a desktop,no effects of ne kind der.beryl nt helping as well.

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
@mayank:
I suspect ur video driver is not installed correctly.what is ur graphics card?onboard one or external,what is the brand.if u dont know post the output of :
Code:
:~$ lspci |grep VGA

post the output of section "Device" in :
Code:
:~$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
use the CODE wrapper to post the codes.

OP
mayanks_098

mayanks_098

world is evil
praka123 output of : [code said:
:~$ lspci |grep VGA[/code]

$ lspci |grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

praka123

left this forum longback
@mayank:
You shud edit or check ur /etc/X11/xorg.conf file ~~section "Device"~~ for a format as below:
Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Videocard0"
    Driver      "i810"    
    BusID		"PCI:0:2:0"
   VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
or using the attachment option here,just attach ur /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

OP
mayanks_098

mayanks_098

world is evil
praka123 said:
post the output of section "Device" in :
Code:
:~$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

how to use code wrapper?

is dis d output?
Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"

coz im unable to access net agn frm ubuntu/sab i hv to copy paste it in a file n paste it from xp/vista n evrythng is messed up wen i view frm windows

so sry 4 inconvinience

praka123

left this forum longback
^^ In Windows use "Wordpad".and while posting here,check below for an attachment option.just rename the file to .txt and attach.

OP
mayanks_098

mayanks_098

world is evil
praka123 said:
^^ In Windows use "Wordpad".and while posting here,check below for an attachment option.just rename the file to .txt and attach.

ya..how dumb.
newez,d output of dat code is same wat u mentioned:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller"
Driver "i810"
BusID "PCI:0:2:0"

praka123

left this forum longback
Now i dont see any such reasons for slow system:confused:,but i found one link saying may be Linux fails to use ur memory to the full.see below:
Q: Why Does the System Slow to a Crawl When Adding More Memory?

A: This is a common symptom of a failure to cache the additional memory. The exact problem depends on your motherboard.
Sometimes you have to enable caching of certain regions in your BIOS setup. Look in the CMOS setup and see if there is an option to cache the new memory area which is currently switched off. This is apparently most common on a '486.
Sometimes the RAM has to be in certain sockets to be cached.
Sometimes you have to set jumpers to enable caching.
Some motherboards don't cache all of the RAM if you have more RAM per amount of cache than the hardware expects. Usually a full 256K cache will solve this problem.
If in doubt, check the manual. If you still can't fix it because the documentation is inadequate, you might like to post a message to news:comp.os.linux.hardware giving all of the details make, model number, date code, etc., so other Linux users can avoid it.
*tldp.org/FAQ/Linux-FAQ/troubleshooting.html#add-memory-system-slows
edit:
search menu System>Admin>Synaptic for linux-image-2.6.x.x-bigmem -ending with bigmem hopefully this kernel is compiled for higher memory RAM support.from 4GB - 64 GB.
I think u shud check for some bios settings may be.else post to *linuxquestions.org or try IRC freenode #ubuntu .

for configuring dataone on Ubuntu,try this post @ *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=515118&postcount=11

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
SWAP is not used until it is a necessity.A BIG swap of 1.5GB is worth not of any use.that is some wrong thing ppl spreads like if u got 1GB RAM get a swap of 2 GB-its wrong.swap @t max 500MB enough.
coming to ur problem,I feel that ur kernel seems not able to use the memory to the max as ur free -m output shows?
Code:
Mem: 2019 659 1359 0 150 285
may be a sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-`uname -r` will help.or u need to check /boot/config-kern-version for CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y .below is a grepped output from my debian kernel:
Code:
jaguar:~# cat /boot/config-2.6.21-pjk1 |grep MEM
CONFIG_SHMEM=y
# CONFIG_TINY_SHMEM is not set
# CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM is not set
CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y
# CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G is not set
CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y
CONFIG_ARCH_FLATMEM_ENABLE=y
CONFIG_ARCH_SPARSEMEM_ENABLE=y
CONFIG_ARCH_SELECT_MEMORY_MODEL=y
CONFIG_SELECT_MEMORY_MODEL=y
CONFIG_FLATMEM_MANUAL=y
# CONFIG_DISCONTIGMEM_MANUAL is not set
# CONFIG_SPARSEMEM_MANUAL is not set
CONFIG_FLATMEM=y
CONFIG_FLAT_NODE_MEM_MAP=y
CONFIG_SPARSEMEM_STATIC=y
CONFIG_ARCH_ENABLE_MEMORY_HOTPLUG=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_UMEM=m
CONFIG_INPUT_FF_MEMLESS=m
CONFIG_W1_SLAVE_SMEM=m
# CONFIG_DEBUG_HIGHMEM is not set
CONFIG_HAS_IOMEM=y
another thing is increased memory doesnt help make ur GNOME or KDE to work as fast as a flash :p it needs a grpahics card.and u use an on-board gfx intel one?may be some one more insightful may post their views here.

Last edited:
OP
mayanks_098

mayanks_098

world is evil
^^
ok im going to fiesty agn to try dis.
bt 1st ill hv to agn go thru d pain of configuring net on it.

n hey,i tried pppoeconf,it said:

i found 1 device eth0,wud u lik to configure it?
i said yes

den it said "looking for PPPoE access concentrator on eth0
it gave no result n den it continued with

"looking for PPPoE access concentrator on eth0"
(multi modem mode)
den dis came.

Sorry, I scanned 1 interface, but the Access
Concentrator of your provider did not respond. Please
check your network and modem cables. Another reason
for the scan failure may also be another running pppoe
process which controls the modem.

ne suggestions of wat d prob is b4 i boot into ubuntu agn?

praka123

left this forum longback
as with ur original problem,it may be some kernel issue,i have to say that u may need to recompile the kernel with advanced memory support or try some given "high-mem" kernels.
*www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=443023

with pppoeconf,post ur output of "ifconfig" wrapping inside "#" option above. and try the output of ""sudo pppoe-discovery" paste the o/p here.

OP
mayanks_098

mayanks_098

world is evil
ok,will post d outputs u askd 4.
booting into ubuntu nw...

hey i don kno hw bt my net is wrkng agn in ubuntu.
newez,gud for me.
only thing i did was dat i reset my router frm windows

praka123 said:
:
with pppoeconf,post ur output of "ifconfig" wrapping inside "#" option above. and try the output of ""sudo pppoe-discovery" paste the o/p here.
as net is fine for nw..im nt posting d output of dese commands nw.

as with dis command:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-`uname -r`

i had dis output,
mayank@mayank:~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-`uname -r`
Running depmod.
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-generic
Not updating initrd symbolic links since we are being updated/reinstalled
(2.6.20-15.27 was configured last, according to dpkg)
Not updating image symbolic links since we are being updated/reinstalled
(2.6.20-15.27 was configured last, according to dpkg)
Running postinst hook script /sbin/update-grub.
You shouldn't call /sbin/update-grub. Please call /usr/sbin/update-grub instead!

Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic
Found kernel: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done

n dis is my config-2.6.20-16-generic's entry wch u said to chk.

CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y
# CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G is not set
CONFIG_PAGE_OFFSET=0xC0000000
CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y
CONFIG_ARCH_FLATMEM_ENABLE=y
CONFIG_ARCH_SPARSEMEM_ENABLE=y
CONFIG_ARCH_SELECT_MEMORY_MODEL=y
CONFIG_ARCH_POPULATES_NODE_MAP=y
CONFIG_SELECT_MEMORY_MODEL=y
CONFIG_FLATMEM_MANUAL=y

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
I am not getting the precise reason why ur system slows down.if ur having a intel-x86 system,try some "-386" ending kernel or compile a custom kernel(dare u?) for speed optimizations.
the total slow down of the system is..may be related to memory.one more thing is ur using onboard gfx and 2 GB RAM is not at all very useful with dis card.if u have,try a <1GB RAM in ur mobo and see the result.

OP
mayanks_098

mayanks_098

world is evil
u mean i shd take out 1gb ram n try 4 sum timw wth just 1gb ram?
coz earlier install wth 1gb ram was wrkng fine.

praka123

left this forum longback
the answer now seems clear i suppose,u may try available "highmem" kernel from synaptic.try for any difference.as with < than 1 GB memory,it seems system is well doing for many.
It seems ur memory problem is somewhere related to memory support portion of Linux kernel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom