HTPC under 40k

gvinodh

Right off the assembly line
Hi everyone!
Have been following this forum for a while, with more time on my hands lately have seriously started looking at this website and have now become a member.Also because I'm in dire need of some help from the experts here!

I am looking to build a custom HTPC (my first attempt at a custom build) and would like to get your opinion on the configuration.I must admit my knowledge on hardware is pretty limited, and whatever I have gained is based on reading forums like these.

I'm sure I'll have a great setup with your inputs. Thanks in advance.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run?
Ans:
Will be primarily used as a HTPC. Download & play movies, Play DVD, BluRay discs, stream music, view photos and support web browsing.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:
Max Rs. 40,000.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:
Yes. I understand that I don't require the greatest processing power for the purpose I'm trying to achieve, however I like doing R&D's on these kind of things. I do acknowledge there is a risk that I'll screw up the system.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:
Ubuntu. Future proof to upgrade to Windows 8.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:
Primary disk - SSD, 60 GB?
Storage disk - Minimum 1 TB.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:
No. Planning to connect this directly to HDTV (1080p).

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:
Monitor

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:
In the next 1 month

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:
Will engage an assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:
Chennai. Open to buy from online.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:
Small form factor preferred (Zino / mac mini like cabinet). Configuration should be fairly future proof atleast for the next 2-3 years.
System must connect to HDTV (1080p) via HDMI.
System must be capable of wifi & bluetooth.

Mr.V

Journeyman
Component
Processor:- Intel core i5 2500k around 13000
Motherboard:- ZOTAC Z68ITX AE:- 10000
Cabinet:- Cooler master elite 100:- 3200
Ram:- Corsair Vengence 4GB Ram.:- 2500
Storage:- Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB :- 4250
Keyboard:- Amkette cruiser Wireless Keyboard and Mouse:- 1140
DVD:- Sony Internal Blu-Ray DVD Writer BD-5300S 8000

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Ok here goes your htpc config:

Component | Make | Price Processor | AMD A6-3650 |6000
Motherboard | Asus F1A75-M |7000
RAM | Gskill 4GB RAM F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL |1525
HDD | Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD Internal Hard Drive (ST31000524AS) sata 6.0 gbps |5400
SSD | ADATA 500 Series 60 GB SSD Internal Hard Drive sata 6.0 gbps (S510) |5800
DVD Writer |ASUS 24X Sata Black DVD|1150
BD Writer | LG BH12LS38 Blu-ray |5800
PSU | Corsair CX 430-V2 |2300
Case | Silverstone Sugo Series SG02B-F00020 / Sunbeam ACHT-T Acrylic HTPC Transparent |4100 /3500
Keyboard & Mouse |Amkette ClASSIC DUO|406
UPS |APC 600VA|1800
| Total |41281/40681

So as per my suggestion, the above config will fit op's needs. The mobo is based on A75 chipset and is top of the line for llano. It has integrated usb 3.0 controller as well as sata 6.0 gbps. The ssd and 1tb hdd i've given have sata 6.0 gbps interface. I found ADATA vfm considering its price as well as 6.0 gbps connectivity. The mobo also has a pci-e slot and a gpu can be add later most preferably a 6670. But its not required for this kind of usage at all as llano's integrated gpu is quite capable. The board also has an hdmi port, so you can hook it up to any hdtv.

You might get the board locally. In flipkart, its 6.5k but currently is out of stock. Its available with theitwares.

Suggested a quad core cpu so that it handles everything with ease. The integrated gpu will handle 1080p movies with ease and even allow op to use post processing filters in gpu accelerated players like MPC homecinema.

The silverstone and sunbeam cases i've given are tailor made for htpc usage. Op can choose whichever he sees fit. I've given links for the above components if op decides to buy online. They are from primeabgb and flipkart mainly. Purchases from these vendors is absolutely hasslefree.

The bd writer from lg is also quite vfm imo considering the price. I've also suggested a back up dvd writer for everyday use.

Op can also go for a wireless keyboard mouse combo like Logitech Wireless Desktop MK320 @ 1.4k

Any further improvements are welcome.:)

Last edited:
OP
G

gvinodh

Right off the assembly line
Thanks for all your responses!

@Vickybat - I'm leaning towardsyour recommendations. I understand A6-3650 has an igpu, but will it be sufficient to handle 1080p content? Should I also look for a low-end discrete GPU?

Also, I hope I'm making a wise decision by plonking in an SSD for a HTPC - will it really add value?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Yes its more than sufficient for handling 1080p content.:)

Since you won't be gaming, i don't think you'd require a discrete gpu. If you ever need one, then go for a 6670 as it will crossfire internally with llano's igpu. But 3650's igpu is pretty powerful and will easily handle all your current needs i.e running 1080p content and as i said you can also apply post processing filters.

Well i recommended the ssd because you asked for it. Personally i don't think an htpc would require an ssd. But again you can get it as it fits in your budget and make it your primary os partition. You can store movies and other content in the secondary 1tb hdd.:)

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ You're welcome mate.:) Do post pics here and in the "latest purchase section" once your build is complete. We would all like to see it.:)

Top Bottom