HP vs Lenovo

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Consider
Dell New Inspiron 15R 3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ 1GB Graphics/ Linux Laptop - Dell: Flipkart.com
Samsung NP350V5C-S02IN Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Win7 HP/ 2GB Graph) - Samsung: Flipkart.com
Dell New Inspiron 15R Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win8/ 1GB Graph) - Dell: Flipkart.com

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I am asking cause I've heard many people scream about HP as a brand/service etc. On the other hand Lenovo seems to be everyone's fav.

HP lost its reputation due to older pavilion series heating problem. Its fine now.

oh...thank you. But even for home usage?

Don't home usage electronics require servicing? Or would you like to run here and there multitude times for a simple problem?

tkin

Back to school!!
Of course they do..but what are u saying...that HP service isn't good?
I can say its bad, the external vga output on my HP530 was causing issues, took it to them, asked 15k to change the motherboard(for a celeron dual cpu class mobo), took it to a laptop service center, opened it in front of my eyes, a pin has come loose, they put it back in place and soldered it, took 200/-, ran fine for over two years, so yes, it sucks, at least in kolkata :evil:

OP
X

X 0 N 0 D E

Broken In
I can say its bad, the external vga output on my HP530 was causing issues, took it to them, asked 15k to change the motherboard(for a celeron dual cpu class mobo), took it to a laptop service center, opened it in front of my eyes, a pin has come loose, they put it back in place and soldered it, took 200/-, ran fine for over two years, so yes, it sucks, at least in kolkata :evil:

Hmmm... now that sucks. 15K for a 200 rupee pin is wayyyyy too much. It not only shows their incompetency but also their attitude. This is what I was afraid of.

OP
X

X 0 N 0 D E

Broken In
Its good. Next to Dell.

I'm located in Mumbai and here Dell is great. But the guy above you made a very valid point. Charging 15K for a 200 rupee fault is far too much.
I'm sure people are rich enough to buy an expensive products but not stupid enough to pay 15k when the fault can b rectified for 200rupees.

tkin

Back to school!!
I'm located in Mumbai and here Dell is great. But the guy above you made a very valid point. Charging 15K for a 200 rupee fault is far too much.
I'm sure people are rich enough to buy an expensive products but not stupid enough to pay 15k when the fault can b rectified for 200rupees.
They were so arrogant they didn't even open the laptop, just heard the issue and straight said that mobo needs replacement, I mean shouldn't they try to see if it can be repaired simply, they would do so if it was under warranty :evil:

OP
X

X 0 N 0 D E

Broken In
They were so arrogant they didn't even open the laptop, just heard the issue and straight said that mobo needs replacement, I mean shouldn't they try to see if it can be repaired simply, they would do so if it was under warranty :evil:

You are right Buddy. Hmm... wondering what to do. Lenovo I've heard is pretty good too. And a big advantage is my engineer has a Lenovo certified shop. HP may be great but that could b for business and big corporate houses. Not so much for homes.

OP
X

X 0 N 0 D E

Broken In
why dont you get a desktop mate ?

I already have one buddy. The thing is..it becomes too tiresome to clean the whole damn thing. Lots and lots of wires means lots and lots of dust. And we sleep right next to the system. So I have a fear it will affect our health. A long shot I know...but still.

Plus an AIO looks neat and has awesome features. :)

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

Well, I can't think of any company which really charges couple of hundred bucks for some small internal issue. They straightway go for replacement. Official service centres rarely service any electronic part like motherboard. Even my friend with a dv6 was asked 14 k for motherboard replacement, and worse was, that motherboard was not available in whole India.

Thing is, there are always hiccups in ASS of any company, completely flawless like corsair service is very rare. A couple of bad experiences simply can't tarnish overall reputation of a company.period.

Now it's your personal orientation towards whichever company you like.

OP
X

X 0 N 0 D E

Broken In
I am still not convinced about HP. ANd my grouse against Lenovo is it is offering older gen specs at a newer gen price.

If HP is good for at least the next 4-5 years, I am good to go with it.

Top Bottom