HP Pre 3 and HP Veer

arkadeep

Broken In
Does anyone have any idea about whether these two phones are going to be launched in India or not?

I checked out the Veer. It's uber cool.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
at this point of time, NO. HP might launch these devices in the markets where earlier Palm devices had strong sales and then spread to other markets.

OP
A

arkadeep

Broken In
So basically if I want it, I'll have to get itfrom the US?
HP luanches the SIM free models simultaneoualy?

pauldmps

Banned
^^From what I guess, the new palm models will be released after some time because old palm-pre 2 is going for pre-order from today on Verizon.

HP would want to sell off their old model since it won't get any future WebOS updates including WebOS 3.0 which is running on pre3 & veer.

OP
A

arkadeep

Broken In
So any ideas as to how much the carrier unlock ones are going to cost?
I know the official prices aren't disclosed. But a rough estimate would help.

pauldmps

Banned
The Pre-2 costs $499.99 unlocked (about 22k INR). So I'm expecting the price of Veer about 18k.

Also one important thing to note here is that the Veer has no 3.5mm jack or micro-usb port on it. There are magnetic attachments for that purpose which are bulky & you'll have to carry it with your handset to use those ports.

OP
A

arkadeep

Broken In
I know what you are talking about. But those connectors aren't THAT bad. The one in this picture seems to be pretty small and portable.

The Veer is basically a novelty device.
Most probably I'll change my mind about buying it after sometime. But for the time being, I am completely hooked.
One more thing though. Price of 18k is going to be too high for me anyway. :|

And I have to say that HP has done a good job with webOS.

And the dongle picture is given in this engadget article.

m.engadget.com/default/article.do?artUrl=*www.engadget.com/2011/02/11/hp-veer-too-small-for-3-5mm-headphone-jack-and-microusb-port-ge/&category=classic&icid=eng_latest_art

Last edited:

pauldmps

Banned
The price is just my wild guess. I'm no expert when it comes to price. Sam can take better guesses.

Those attachments might be small but remember that they are powerful magnets & hence are very heavy.

Also one question comes to my mind. Won't the device malfunction under such strong magnetic fields ?

pauldmps

Banned
The problem is that last year's old model Pre 2 is now up for pre-order (not yet available) in the US. So the fate of Pre 3 is currently undecidable. HP wouldn't want to launch a new product while the old has not been sold yet. That too because the Pre 2 won't receive update to WebOS 3.0 which the Pre 3 is running out of the box.

About the WebOS, I was greatly hooked when I saw the first demonstration video (It came in the Digit DVD) of the Palm Pre. It has a great potential. Another awesome thing about the Pre phones are its Wireless charging Dock. It makes me wonder why other manufacturers did not add this feature on this phones.

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
The Veer is basically a novelty device.
Most probably I'll change my mind about buying it after sometime. But for the time being, I am completely hooked.

hooked by the looks? if yes, go to China. you'll get Pree 3 (not a typo) for 2.2k & Hp Voer (not a typo again) for 1.8k. BUT, if you want functionality, get an Android based mobile.

One more thing though. Price of 18k is going to be too high for me anyway. :|

so whats your budget anyway?

so i guess, no use discussing about the HP-Palm items now as your budget not allows it.

And I have to say that HP has done a good job with webOS.

WebOS was already good. but it needs a bigger player (with tons of cash & good market presence) behind it to be successful in this type of wild competition. also Android got launched shortly after the launch of WebOS (if i remember correctly). so after getting beaten by Apples, it was the Android Army that it needed to face.

The problem is that last year's old model Pre 2 is now up for pre-order (not yet available) in the US. So the fate of Pre 3 is currently undecidable. HP wouldn't want to launch a new product while the old has not been sold yet. That too because the Pre 2 won't receive update to WebOS 3.0 which the Pre 3 is running out of the box.

they may. Pre2 free on contract. Pre3 + 100$ on contract. also looking at the H/W side, the old Pres will compete with Motorola Defy (with less demand). so offering them free on contract is the best way to empty their inventory.

OR,

Pre2 = on contract, locally.
Pre3 = corporate (till Pre2 lasts).
Veer = on contract @ 100$.
the rest, free on contract or lower priced contracts.

Another awesome thing about the Pre phones are its Wireless charging Dock. It makes me wonder why other manufacturers did not add this feature on this phones.

did i miss something important?

also, iPhone4 is launched on Verizon. so AT&T & Verizon offering iPhone4. lets see how many (not million) WebOS HP able to sell.

The price is just my wild guess. I'm no expert when it comes to price. Sam can take better guesses.

can be guessed if there are WebOS running mobiles with slightly higher or a bit lower specs are in market. my guess was found to be true in case of Ace mainly cause of Defy & Lg O1/Galaxy 551. but in case of a relatively new platform. it won't be easy.

Those attachments might be small but remember that they are powerful magnets & hence are very heavy.

you pull the attachment out your pocket. and your car keys, coins, ring or anything metallic comes out with it. it has the potential to make anyone the center of joke.

Also one question comes to my mind. Won't the device malfunction under such strong magnetic fields ?

true. & think the affect on other electronic items that are in your pocket.

Last edited:
OP
A

arkadeep

Broken In
Not completely because of the looks.
I mean I have an iPod Touch 3G on iOS 4. Which runs perfectly on the device. Even multitasking is fast and doesn't cause any lags whatsoever.
The thing which impressed me the most about the Pre 3 and Veer was te fact that webOS's multi tasking is actually faster than iOS!!

And I personally believe that webOS is gonna be big after the HP aspect. Rubenstein talked about putting webOS into all kinds of devices (printers, MFDs, desktops, and laptops)

So that should help developers a lot I feel. I personally have an HP Envy 14 and just can't wait for any possible iterarations of webOS for my laptop.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Not completely because of the looks.
I mean I have an iPod Touch 3G on iOS 4. Which runs perfectly on the device. Even multitasking is fast and doesn't cause any lags whatsoever.
The thing which impressed me the most about the Pre 3 and Veer was te fact that webOS's multi tasking is actually faster than iOS!!

And I personally believe that webOS is gonna be big after the HP aspect. Rubenstein talked about putting webOS into all kinds of devices (printers, MFDs, desktops, and laptops)

So that should help developers a lot I feel. I personally have an HP Envy 14 and just can't wait for any possible iterarations of webOS for my laptop.

Dude. Don't compare WebOS multitasking with iOS's. WebOS does true multitasking and in iOS, the app developer need to tweak the app to do pseudo-multitasking.

And FYI, WebOS is much better than iOS. Just that it didn't get the recognition that it had to.

OP
A

arkadeep

Broken In
Well I am all for webOS!!
The very reason why I am absolutely crazy about the Veer right now :D

I just hope HP releases it soon enough so that it's hardware doesn't become outdated.

And it is kinda weird that of the 3 devices unveiled, the smallest has got the most attention :D

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Well I am all for webOS!!
The very reason why I am absolutely crazy about the Veer right now :D

I just hope HP releases it soon enough so that it's hardware doesn't become outdated.

And it is kinda weird that of the 3 devices unveiled, the smallest has got the most attention :D

Given the big budget backing of HP, I think this is the 'third ecosystem' and not 'nokia+wp7'.

OP
A

arkadeep

Broken In
So given the fact that the Veer has a 800Mhz processor and 512MB of RAM, for how much time do you expect it to last?
I mean do yoi expect it to get further updates and stuff from HP? currently both Pre 3 and Veer are running WebOS 2.2

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ Nokia 5230 with a 430Mhz processor & 128Mb ram is still selling good. H/W don't make mobile last. its support, apps & usability that do.

Top Bottom