[HP g6 2005ax] Hard Disk problem !!

do2blehelix

Broken In
hey guys,
i just got this laptop some weeks ago...

just that i had a query...about the hard disk in this laptop.....performance of which is not quite what i expected !!

i was supplied with a TOSHIBA hard disk in the laptop !! (i read somewhere that samsung spinpoint is supplied) :-?:-?:-?:-?
the real problem is that
my hdd gives very low transfer speeds

when copying from one partition to another around
11Mbps which is unexpected!. It starts around 30-35 and then falls. ALWAYS !! no matter what file size is.

while copying to and from a usb drive it averages speeds around 20Mbps ! ...and less

i was hoping if somebody could provide benchmarks for the same and let me know if that is normal or do i have to get a replacement !!

thanks in advance. :smile:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Toshiba mobile HDD's are known to be slower as compared to their peers. My vaio too has it and gives 25MB/s despite of 7200rpm. My friend's inspiron gives 30MB/s despite its 5400rpm. 11MB/s is too low, try formatting or get it checked.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
also check for any background running process like antivirus file scanner set to scan all files in real time,defragmentation etc.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
as a last resort use linux lice cd to boot the system & then try within linux.also just to be on safe side install crystaldiskinfo & check hard disk health.

OP
D

do2blehelix

Broken In
also i forgot to mention......i did lots of partitioning (i.e. kept re-sizing till it suited my needs).....and i never formatted....coz i had to shift data and resize and shift and resize again.....!!!
could it have had an impact on the data transfer rate ??

also i forgot to mention......i did lots of partitioning (i.e. kept re-sizing till it suited my needs).....and i never formatted....coz i had to shift data and resize and shift and resize again.....!!!
could it have had an impact on the data transfer rate ??

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
doubt it will. you can try one thing, check HDD model no and google. i am sure at least someone uploaded some details about the same HDD's transfer rate, etc. Recent toshiba HDD have improved in speed but old ones were ultra slow.

Top Bottom