How to type this in Devnagrai - Google Input Marathi

patkim

Cyborg Agent
I have installed Google Input Marathi to type in Devnagri letters on my Windows 7 PC. Good part is that it's phonetic in nature i.e. you type the Marathi/Hindi pronunciation in English and it converts properly. e.g. typing 'helo' converts it to हेलो

However I have a tough time getting to type 'a' as in 'Advocate'. I have tried several combinations of 'a' with other letters as well as a with available stroke in Marathi but I can't get it right. Appears like strokes are not available for vowels on the keyboard.

The 'a' as in 'Advocate' can be written as Image1

The Marathi vowels as available therein are Image2

Currently I am typing it as Image3

If anyone has any idea I would be glad to know. Thx.

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I am not sure, but doesn't Google's Indic keyboard also have a drawing interface where you can write the characters that you want and it will type it as is?

OP
patkim

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Strange!! It's working correctly in this text box on this forum but not in my Word 2003!! See I have typed 'Advocate' here -> अॅॅडवोकेट
But when I do the same thing in Word 2003 it does not resolve the semi circular stroke correctly. It just remains as अ and then a semicircle at the next character rather than being above it. See the Image4
Difficult to conclude where the issue is and looks like there's no Google Product Forum as well for Language where I could have additionally posted similar query.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Looks like its resolving the chandra character but not attaching it to the अ.

Have you tried another font?

OP
patkim

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Thanks for the suggestion, but the font remains as Mangal in Word 2003 as long as language is Marathi. I can change it, but the moment I start typing in Marathi it again restores to Mangal.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Try this: First type everything and once the characters have been added to the document then select it and change the font.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

OP
patkim

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Ya I tried your suggestion but no matter what, the font remains as Mangal and can not be changed as long as Marathi text is in selection.
Moreover copying the correct Marathi text from say from above text box where I have correctly written 'Advocate' in Marathi to Word 2003 and the semicircular stroke (Ardhachandra) fails to resolve and it comes as a next character after pasting.

So I suspect somehow Google Input tool is not compatible with older versions of Word like 2003 probably. I will try to test it on PC with Word 2013 and check as well.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update -
This issue does not occur on a Windows 7 PC with Office 2013. So I suspect somehow my Word 2003 being too outdated may not be fully supported by Google Input Tool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom