How to synchronize uTorrent for multiple users?

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Say one has two users for Windows 7. User A and user B. Say both user have uTorrent installed in same location, but when User A is downloading a file or have a file added and it's paused at middle, then if User A logs out and User B logs in and open uTorrent then that file is not being shown for User B. Is there any way to get rid of that? I mean how can User A and User B synchronize the downloadable files in uTorrent?

Did I make myself clear or sound like a retard?

Thanks in adv.

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Copy pasting the utorrent folder from users/user a/appdata/local or users/user a/appdata/roaming to that of user b should do the job. But make sure you backup it beforehand.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I think utorrent works for each user account separately so whats user A is downloading won't be visible to user B in his login session

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Copy pasting the utorrent folder from users/user a/appdata/local or users/user a/appdata/roaming to that of user b should do the job. But make sure you backup it beforehand.
Do I have to do that every time after adding a new torrent / file or just one time will do?

Is there an alternative torrent app which will do it automatically?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
What whatthefrak needs is uTorrent Portable! :)

Download from here: *portableapps.com/apps/internet/utorrent_portable
Install on some shared location, say a folder in a shared drive.
Make shortcuts to the same executable for each user.
Now whenever a user starts uTorrent they are essentially starting same instance of uTorrent.

Try it. Might work. :p

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Or rather launch utorrent by right click ->run as different user, then select "user a" after logging on as user b
Where is this option, 'run as different user'? I don't see any option like that when I right click on uTorrent app!
What whatthefrak needs is uTorrent Portable! :)

Download from here: *portableapps.com/apps/internet/utorrent_portable
Install on some shared location, say a folder in a shared drive.
Make shortcuts to the same executable for each user.
Now whenever a user starts uTorrent they are essentially starting same instance of uTorrent.

Try it. Might work. :p
Doesn't work man :(

I think I need to try an alternative app!! But I have no idea what!!!

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
hold shift and then right click on uTorrent's icon. then click on 'run as different user', enter the other user name and password.
Thanks, but I can't login! I type in my username, and as there's no pass for either account I leave it blank, and when I hit enter some error pops up. Even if it works it won't help me, cause user A won't be able to do anything manually, so whatever has to be done needs to be done by me.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Can do that, but that'd mean the same holding shift and right clicking process has to still undergo, which is not an option for me. To be clear, User A happens to be my parents, who are illiterate in these stuffs and User B is I obviously. Needless to say I download a lot, but my parents access my desktop PC in morning time (9 a.m to 4 p.m) and that time I stay in office. And I had to create a different profile for them, cause my desktop is....well leave it. So that entire time when my parents access the PC is wasted as nothing is downloaded in that period.

Hope now you understand why I can't go for any manual or repetitive process :)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Doesn't work man :(

I think I need to try an alternative app!! But I have no idea what!!!

In this case when uTorrent Portable is not working, I guess the information about the list of active torrent is kept in user's profile.
There should be an option to change this profile information to a shared location. If not, then you can simply Symlink the appdata (assumed name) folder so that each location of different user profile have same actual location.

Maybe I can explain better later, meanwhile try to understand the same. :p

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
why not just use switch user account option to let your parents log in.start utorrent then press win+L & log in screen will appear.leave it at that & whenever your parents need to use PC they can just login through other account while utorrent will keep running through your account.however i suggest installing another torrent software for your parents account to avoid issues.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Yeah, was thinking about user account switching option.

What alternative app is there for uTorrent which can do what I asked easily?

kisame

King of Heroes
Well, Tixati's portable version work in the directory it is located in.Try it and see if it is to your liking.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Well, Tixati's portable version work in the directory it is located in.Try it and see if it is to your liking.
Not working bro. Files added under my user account are not being shown under the other account. I have set default downloaded location for both the users at same location, also tried to change the incomplete piece download location to same destination, but after a log out and log in into an account reverts back to default location, which are not same for both user accounts!

Hmm :|

Isn't there any way to change the cache location of uTorrent, and make it same under both accounts? There is an app called Vuze or something, could that do what I am asking?

Top Bottom