how to searcd effectively in vista ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys

i have vista ultimate..when ever i search any file from its search bar it didnt shows up

like i search for mp3 file which was in e drive and it didnt shows any result even in advance search...how to solve this

If you have a pretty decent hard disk, then try disabling the indexing. Its not a recommended practice but it worked for me. To do this Click on Organize>Folder and Search Options in an explorer window. Go to the Search TAB in the dialog that opens. Now check the checkbox titled "Don't use index while searching the file system (might be slow).

Try it. Best of luck.

You have turned off indexing or have you configured your system not to use it? Because if you only turn it off, i think it wont index new files but the existing index will still be used. Just for confirming, have you done exactly what i wrote in the previous post?

@desiibond: Buddy i dont think google will work for him. He wants just about any files to be searched effectively while google search by default searches only limited set of file extensions. And downloading and installing plugins for each file type is a pain. Google search is only effective for the file types it indexes.

hello pal if you want to search for mp3 files in any drive search like this *.mp3
You will have to add * before the extension. eg:-if you want to search for jpg files
you will have to search like this *.jpg and by just typing jpg will not help.

OP
A

ashishstillthere

Journeyman
Click on Organize>Folder and Search Options in an explorer window. Go to the Search TAB in the dialog that opens. Now check the checkbox titled "Don't use index while searching the file system (might be slow)

i have done what you have told me but still i am not be able to search it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom