How to repair a Mouse ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pannaguma

Turn The Page
I have 3-4 year old optical, wireless mouse of logitech. It was working fine till yesterday, but today the left-click key is not working. Where can I get it repaired? Does logitech service/repair mice?

ThinkFree

Technomancer
If you are heavy user of mouse like playing games with mouse then you should go to buy a new mouse as the average lifespan of optical mice is around 4 years. Also you can't say if the company would be making same mice even now. If its not , you can get a new mouse cheaper than getting your old one repaired

OP
pannaguma

pannaguma

Turn The Page
asnvin said:
If you are heavy user of mouse like playing games with mouse then you should go to buy a new mouse as the average lifespan of optical mice is around 4 years. Also you can't say if the company would be making same mice even now. If its not , you can get a new mouse cheaper than getting your old one repaired
the problem is that the mouse is part of a wireless combo (KB+mouse) which was for Rs.2350/- 3 years back. about 1 yr back i found that nobody was selling wireless mouse cause of low demand. i dont think repairing should cost more than 300-400 rs.

By the way i am not a gamer but tend to use the mouse for a couple of hours daily.

sashijoseph

In the zone
Go to some electronics repairs shop.The switch may have gone bad and they'll change it easily,provided it's available.

OP
pannaguma

pannaguma

Turn The Page
^^ currently my mouse is open (no screws) and i have enabled the 'switch keys' option. i tried manually pressing the two contact points, the right one responds but not the left one.

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
Well, the Mouse buttons have a Rated Life of 1,000,000 Clicks.. Try to get a Component.. (or savage it from an another mouse)

Kalyan

Journeyman
Try to clean the left switch with a little petrol.. yes. petrol, with the power off. just remove the battery(ies) and let it dry for some time. this might work. Petrol is a good lubricant and cleaning agent.. I am not kidding...

OP
pannaguma

pannaguma

Turn The Page
Kalyan said:
Try to clean the left switch with a little petrol.. yes. petrol, with the power off. just remove the battery(ies) and let it dry for some time. this might work. Petrol is a good lubricant and cleaning agent.. I am not kidding...
the contact points i mentioned are of plastic (ie a plastic button over a spring), not metal, so alcohol/petrol cannot be used.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
the actual contact inside the plastic box is surelly a metal. If the button mechanically works nd the click sound is comin[from the inner plastic box], then it might be some contact issue which can be solved by using some spirit. Using petrol might soften some kinda plastic nd mostly irreversible.
Use surgical spirit or esle use the usual one[60%+flavours].

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
aravind_n20 said:
the actual contact inside the plastic box is surelly a metal. If the button mechanically works nd the click sound is comin[from the inner plastic box], then it might be some contact issue which can be solved by using some spirit. Using petrol might soften some kinda plastic nd mostly irreversible.
Use surgical spirit or esle use the usual one[60%+flavours].
No.. The 'Contact' is a Sealed Click Switch. Can only be cleaned if it is breaked..

Better way is to find a replacement for it from salvaged parts in Old Mouses..

See This: *www.cs.put.poznan.pl/csidc/2001/images/med/automouse02.jpg

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
yup, its sealed, nd only a narrow red bar can be seen n it clicks when pressed. Use a drop of alc over that nd itll dry out within 1 hr nd mostly prpbably the button wud work.

U lways dun have to open it to clean . Make some hard clicks while wet.

But i wud say get the NEW iball Laser for 450/-. Gud design nd 100% vfm.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
@pannaguma post a pic of the switch.... so that someone can tell if a replacement switch is available in the market.

Stick

Ambassador of Buzz
Contact Logitech Autho. Service center they might offer you service for some charge if warranty is expires.

OP
pannaguma

pannaguma

Turn The Page
*www.imagehosting.com/show.php/1192074_img0370.jpg.html
above: the actual image. the two symmetrical rectangles to the left are the click buttons.

below: inverted colour image of a logitech mouse. source:techtree
*www.imagehosting.com/show.php/1192078_LogitechMX500400invert.JPG.html

hope this helps.

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
Bring a Cat near it, fir to ye mouse chalega nahi................daurega :))

On the technical note,It'll be helpful if u post a pic..........

Stick

Ambassador of Buzz
pannaguma said:
do you have any details? ie phone no or location?

First of all contact your delaer from where you purchase mouse, they can help you lot.

Next, search Logitech Disctributors for your city or State. If you can mentioned where are you from I or any other from this forum can help you more.

Logitech India Contact Information

Go through proper channel with patient, i'm sure you will get what you want :)

HTH :)

sashijoseph

In the zone
@Pannaguma
The switches are pretty standard and found in every mouse.Just get hold of an old scrap mouse and get a friend or someone with soldering skills to replace the defective one.

OP
pannaguma

pannaguma

Turn The Page
sashijoseph said:
@Pannaguma
The switches are pretty standard and found in every mouse.
Are you saying this after looking at the image, or just in general?? Btw i am quite alright at soldering.

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
pannaguma said:
Are you saying this after looking at the image, or just in general?? Btw i am quite alright at soldering.
They ARE General! I've even seen the same in an 8yr old Logitech Mouse that I happened to come by!

If you have a spare mouse.. Just open it and see it! (Or just get those cheapo 90rs Intex Scroll Mouse)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom