how to make USB accesible on a port blocked system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tasz

Right off the assembly line
hi,

i wand use a usb but the port is showing blocked.
in the device manager a question mark is tagged in front of it.

kindly assist on this
thanx in advance..!!

regards,
tasz..!!:!:

khmadhu

change is constant!!
check u r bios settings, enable usb if disabled..

and check again..
which os r u using..?

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
I am assuming you work for an IT company (most of which are ISO27001 certified for data security). Actually it is not controlled through BIOS but registry. I tried to find a possible solution on the internet but did not get any. So one time I sneaked into my own system when tech support person was connecting portable HDD to my system for installing some s/w...The traces I found there lead me to this:

Code:
*technofriends.in/2008/02/11/how-to-disable-and-re-enable-usb-storage-devices/
or
*support.microsoft.com/kb/823732

Or as it was posted in TDF too, please have a look here:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77208

OP
T

Tasz

thnx a lot khmadhu..
gagan007 u got it.. i even tried to run a regedit file but to no avail...
there are several other methods in the link u suggested..
let me try those n i'll confirm which one has worked (hopefully)

thnx again..!!:)

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

one more issue - wid mu home pc..
i installed original xp sp1 from a cd and then i installed essential softwares and upgraded it to sp2..
then i installed norton 360... n it all began from here..
computer is running as slow as a snail... freezing most of the times..
i tried removing norton.. i tried system restore...
but all in vain..
even the msconfig window sparks n flashes off in a jiffy..
no folder options to view hidden files..

plz suggest if i need to reformat the drive and reinstall all s/w
dis seems to be horrible to me as it took nearly 5 hrs to install all the s/w earlier..

thnx in advance..!!

phuchungbhutia

Om Ma Ni Pä Me Hum
Maybe there is still some traces of norton left . Use some good uninstaller like free revo uninstall . There used to be norton uninstall software too.
You cant see the folder options then it could be worm or virus that changed the registry.
There is a small program called reanimator if i m not mistaken, to restore registry n clean virus, try it

CA50

Cyborg Agent
if there is a question mark in front of usb in device manager, it doesn`t mean that the usb port is blocked. Double click on the usb icon and check the device status. If it says like
Code:
The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.
then you might have to install the usb drivers.

Can you give a screen shot of you DM.

If you usb is blocked then a registry hack can solve it. Alternatively you can change settings related to usb through a third party software called windows xp manager.
[]d

OP
T

Tasz

thnx for d reply..!!

i m using hcl beanstalk from last 8 yrs.. (P-IV 2 GHz; 1 GB Ram; 40 GB hard drive)
last year my computer crashed to death so I had to replace the motherboard which one of my friend suggested for mercurry..
n my ordeal started from that day.. i had to reformat the drive several times and reinstall the OS..
then at last I decided to go to Nehru place and buy something really compatible with dis.. I bought ASUS 2 months back... All was well but as soon as I came home installed original XP.. this issue instigated with a new one - computer shuts down without any warning as soon as I attach USB (pen drive or MTS internet card)
Then I asked vendor to change the board but the computer ran well for 3 hrs in his shop..
I again came home and tried.. Alas..! same issue..
plz suggest me if I can updrade my computer at a minimal cost coz I've new ASUS board for P IV 2 GHz processor.. new optical drives from LG.. 1 GB Ram and 2 sata hard drives 80 GB each..
I already have spent enough on thic computer.. i would have bought a new one instead..
but I want to upgrade this one coz wat i would do of this computer then...

thanx in advance..!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom