How to install XP after Win 7 64bit?

ysmonyog

Journeyman
My HDD has 5 NTFS partitions. First two are primary with Win 7 64 bit on first one. Now I want to install XP on another partition. Please help.

aniket.cain

Padawan
Here is how you do it:

1. You have already installed Windows 7. Now insert the Windows XP disc and restart the computer. Install XP in drive D. After restarting, your computer will boot directly into Windows XP.

2. In XP, insert Windows 7 DVD and type the following on command prompt:

X:\Boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All
where X is the driver letter of your dvd drive.

3. Restart. It will boot in Windows 7 and you'll have no option to select XP.

4. Now, in Windows 7, open the command prompt with admin access and type the following one by one:

Bcdedit /create {ntldr} /d "windows XP"

Bcdedit /set {ntldr} device partition=C:

Bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr

Bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} /addlast

Or just copy the above 4 lines in notepad and save it as a .bat file and run it.

5. Restart. Now you will get the option to choose between Windows 7 and Windows XP.

Hope this helps. Has always worked for me.

OP
Y

ysmonyog

Journeyman
Thanks aniket.cain.
I have already installed XP with the help of a tutorial at sevenforums.com (using easyBCD software).
I have, however, noted down the steps given by you for future use.
Thanks again for your help.

insaneYLN

In the zone
@ aniket.cain

Are those steps to be followed only if one wishes to install Windows XP after already having Windows 7 on one's system?

i intend on installing Windows 7 on another partition. i am using Windows XP [SP3] 32-bit

Thank you Sir
:smile:

aniket.cain

Padawan
@insaneYLN
If you are installing Windows 7 after XP, then it will be very simple. Windows 7's boot-loader will automatically add XP to itself.
The above mentioned process is required only if you install an older version after first installing a new version. Like, installing XP after Vista or 7.
So, just go ahead, pop-in the Windows 7 DVD, and follow the instructions. Windows 7 is the easiest-to-install OS to date.