how to install win 98 after win xp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys! i have winxp installed on an ntfs partition. i have another partition - fat32. i wanted to install win 98 on this partition. wen i run the win98 setup program, it says that i need to run it from ms-dos. i tried doing it by selection 'command-prompt' from the start>programs>accesories, but still, it gives an error msg.

HOW DO I START MY COMP IN MS-DOS MODE? :roll:

p.s.- i see no option to do this wen i press the f8 key while startup.

PLZ HELP ME OUT! :roll:

valtea

In the zone
you may start your computer in DOS mode with a boot disk/CD.
start your computer in dos mode and then install win98 as you would do with a new hard disk (except partitioning) (normal fresh install)
and you will have to edit your boot.ini

rajkumar_personal

Ignorance is BLISS !!
Yeah Mate !

You gotta do the following steps

1)Boot ur comp using the bootable 98 CD
(change ur bios settings or press F8 during boot
process and select CD-ROM)

2) Either there will be a "Run The Windows Setup" or "Boot with CD-ROM support"
Select the first option (if present) or boot with the second option and navigate 2 the CD and then run the setup

3) INSTALL WIN98 !

But there is ONE problem !

If you have installed Windows XP in the C:\ drive then u r in some real problem

I have never heard that somwone could install Win98 after installing WinXP on the NTFS formatted C:\ drive ?

It is possible by any means ?

If it is then I'll definitely try and install WinME on my D:\ drive (for playing the games not supported on XP)

theraven

Technomancer
nope
u cannot install win 98 on an ntfs formatted drive
definitely NOT !!!
however he has another partition which is fat32

be advised u wont be able to access the ntfs partition from win xp

what u need is a bootable win98 cd or a dos bootable floppy !!
goto *www.bootdisk.com/ and get the boot image u require

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
futuristically_ancient said:
hey guys! i have winxp installed on an ntfs partition. i have another partition - fat32. i wanted to install win 98 on this partition. wen i run the win98 setup program, it says that i need to run it from ms-dos. i tried doing it by selection 'command-prompt' from the start>programs>accesories, but still, it gives an error msg.

HOW DO I START MY COMP IN MS-DOS MODE? :roll:

p.s.- i see no option to do this wen i press the f8 key while startup.

PLZ HELP ME OUT! :roll:
Common man
You should know this
If your partation in which XP is installed is the active partation, YOU CANNOT INSTALL 98 on that system. You can install 98 ONLY if your C: is FAT32 even if you want to install in D: or E:...................

Trust Me..........

However, if you have C: as FAT32 then follow the following steps.....
1. Boot with 98 CD or floppy
2. Run the setup
3. Install 98 (Even if you never have installed 98, you should e able to do so)
4. Now, when 98 is done, check to see if you get the OS Choice options after reboot, if you do its OK if you dont, follow the following steps
a. Insert XP bootable and then press Enter on the first screen (do not goto recovery console by typing R, we are gonna use another method)
b. Press F8 to accept the license agreement
c. Now, it'll say that you have XP already installed and ask you to press 'R' if you want to repair the current installation. Note that by doing this, you will lose any updates to windows (including Service Pack 1 or 2 if it is not integrated to the installation CD)

rahulkay

Broken In
futuristically_ancient multi boot system

Hi,

I don't know what's wrong with u people.:? Nobody mention this solution but there is an excellent soft available on the net for the same purpose listed on this forum. I have been using it for 5 years & tried it on many systems & it NEVER nagged about the task it is given.
The name is XOSL. An excellant boot loader for all generally used OSs & works on all kinds of systems. You may follow the link provided below or download from "c-net" or "zdnet".
First of all it is free (under GPL). It can support 30 OSs on a single disk. It can be installed on any DOS partition (FAT32), it make ' Windows ' life easier by hiding partition which drive ' Windows ' nuts, such as your dilemma, u may need to hide your Primary ntfs partition as it won't like any other 'OS' sitting in pri. part. It is so flexible that won't have to use any of the boot-loaders provided generally with 'OSs'. It is accompanied with verbose manual that will make u expert on the subject. Also it is packed with a ' Boot Manager ' & ' Partitioning Utility '. Though these tools are buggy & have issues and I won't suggest using them, just avoid installing them.
The best thing I liked about this soft is that I can use it to boot any "OS", be it 'LINUX', 'WIN98', 'WIN me', 'WIN XP' name it what. Just partition ur disk & load the 'OS' u want. If u load any 'Windows' u have got to restore 'XOSL' with the floppy it will create.
One point to note this soft is DOS based. To use it u've got to have a FAT partition & a DOS bootable floppy. Read the manual & get going with multi boot system. :wink:

web link: *www.ranish.com/part/xosl.htm

direct file: *www.ranish.com/part/xosl115.zip

theraven

Technomancer
dude
whats the question and whats ur solution ?

do u know anything abt mbr and partition tables ?
installin win 98 AFTER windows xp is the problem here
not a simple multi boot system
windows OS's are to be installed in order of release ..
if u try to install an older version of windows over a newer one .. it simply wont detect the current OS and will overwrite the MBR ...
hence u will not be able to boot into the current OS !!
also newer os's supoprt ntfs and most of the ppl install it with ntfs
isntallin an older OS which supports only fat32 is another problem !

i know this ur first post ... but read a lil more carefully !

XOSL is simply a BOOT MANAGER !
and it performs the same function as boot.ini or lilo/grub in linux
as far as im concerned im sticking to boot.ini !

imprince

Journeyman
Just boot from any win98 bootable disk with boot with cd rom support ,,( if u r useing CD)
find ur setup.exe file from ur dump

after that ............ u knows very well

this post will give u another milestone

happy surfing

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
imprince said:
Just boot from any win98 bootable disk with boot with cd rom support ,,( if u r useing CD)
find ur setup.exe file from ur dump

after that ............ u knows very well

this post will give u another milestone

happy surfing
NO WAY!! U will lose the previous XP too. YOur MBR will be damaged.................
DOn't follow this.............

theraven

Technomancer
i think ive already posted the solution to the problem
also the fact that this belongs in QnA and not in tutorials
mods plz do the necessary

rahulkay

Broken In
whats the question and whats ur solution ?

Ain’t that cute,

My friend Theraven,

I did read the question narrowly. And I have put up the most feasible & applicable solution for the quandary. “XOSL is simply a BOOT MANAGER!� is wrong!! May be it is my first post on the forum but that doesn’t mean I am here to babble. No, comparison with ‘BOOT.INI’ or ‘LILO’ no sir! Nop! It has intelligent features with Graphical interface. Not those ‘command prompt’ based clumsy loaders. It’s dangerous to play on MBR w/ these loaders. Getting erred is easy in complication.
Do you mean that each time I got to boot into a different OS, have to change my 'BOOT.INI' file? BOOT.INI is just an initialization file required by the windows loader. Can’t perform tasks such as customized hiding of partitions for different ‘OSs' and many more to quote.
It is absurd to assume that someone would like to load ‘Win 98’ on a ‘ntfs’ partition. I suggested this solution only because I too confronted the same dilemma before. And it was this key I came up with & I am sticking to this bootloader since then.

It is true that windows have to be installed in order of release but that’s Microsoft’s way of going. There is no need to go by the book when u have powerful softwares in ur hand.

The guy clearly pointed that he is running XP on his system on a ntfs Partition that is the first partition of the drive. He also said that there is a 'fat' Partition left, on which he tried to install win98. Where it may have denied installing & would have offered to format the ‘ntfs’ partition. As all the windows try installing on a primary partition.

Though he may need to backup his ‘fat’ partition, as it is necessary to format this as primary partition, so that 'windows98' can install in it. As win 98 won’t install on an extended partition. If it is already formatted as primary partition u need not to worry about. There are many utilities available to do that. I will suggest 'bootitNG' software for this. Though it is a shareware program (a boot loader), the partitioning utility runs from floppy with unlimited use. You need not to install it as Lic. would expire in 30 days of installation. Links are listed below.

You may also consider the remedy ‘khattam_’ has quoted.

As for booting in the command prompt, insert win98 bootable CD while computer is booting press F8 key & u will be asked for device from which to boot from, select ur CD drive & enter. As suggested by “valtea�.

*www.terabyteunlimited.com/

*www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads/bootitng.zip

theraven

Technomancer
eh ? :|
dude i aint arguing with u on that
however this guys doesnt wanna run win98 on ntfs
his problem was he needed to run win 98 setup from dos ... that was the error
and his question was how to boot into dos
thats it .. as simple as that

whatever us ay abt XOSL thats post installation of an OS

all im sayin is what features XOSL has isnt required for the simple question of "how to boot into DOS"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom