how to install ubuntu direct from install menu rather than first run it thru live cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

arunks

Hey here is the aks
hey any body tell me is there any way that i can install ubuntu 6.06 direct from the menu that is presented when i insert live kum install cd in cdrom..

i mean in usual way it first starts and loads ubuntu with cd only and then on the desktop there is a icon "install"

on clicking that icon installation starts..

but i dont wanna go to that desktop as my computer hanged many times during that.

SO i wanna install like fedora core 5 starts installation just from the install menu provided in start when we enter its bootable cd..

so guys help me fast plz

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Desmataks, You need to understand the point that Ubuntu 6.06 comes with Live CD
& Install CD wrapped into one. So first it boots as a Live CD & after that you can
click on the 'Install' icon on the desktop to start the Installation. The previous releases
of Ubuntu came with a separate CD for Install & Live CD. Now ,from Ubuntu 6.06
it comes with Live CD & Install CD (this saves the Ubuntu team money!!).
You can order a Ubuntu DVD from Amazon.com from here
You can install directly from the DVD. I think that's what you want.
So get the Ubuntu DVD or download the 'Alternate CD' ISO image, from the link
@Gary has provided.

Last edited:
OP
arunks

arunks

Hey here is the aks
ok thanx jguru ...

Last edited:

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Desmataks, to solve your PC hangs problem. Boot Ubuntu in 'Safe Graphics Mode',
I think the options are available for VGA by pressing the F4 key.
Since the Monitor you are using is not a SamSung, or ViewSonic or a well-known
brand, but a local-one, the Ubuntu monitor driver is not compatible with your Monitor.
So you get the erratic display setting '640x480'. I use a SamSung 17' CRT, which
Ubuntu correctly sets the screen resolution at '1280x1024'.

plsoft

Journeyman
@Jguru-Facing the same prob as desmataks. It runs fine as a live cd but when i try to install it, the process hangs on step 5 i.e. preparing partition. I tried it with my frens pc which has AMD 3000+ with Gigabyte K8N51GMF mobo but the same prob persists. I have checked the disk for checksum error but it doesn't show any error. I have tried the suggestion u made for Desmataks but in vain.

My config:
Intel 2 ghz
256 mb ram
80 gb hdd
Asus P4v533-mx
LG L1515S LCD monitor.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
^^^^
man the desktop cd from ubuntu is buggy. me to tried to install it many times but failed!. just install thorugh alternate install cd

plsoft

Journeyman
Solved the prob :). I just created a disk partition of 10 gb, earlier my disk was not free. After that i tried to install ubuntu n it installed fine. However i still can't understand why it can't continue n just create a new partition in my earlier case. Nways the installation was quite slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom