how to increase virtual mem & ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolsunny

Journeyman
It shows virtual mem is low when i plays igi2.How to increase virtual mem?

Hitman 3 also does not runs good in my comp.Its very slow.& the igi 2 is also abit slow.grafix is so so.its 3dmark 2001 score is 4122.
Both of them needs 256mb ram?& idont think that it is slow for onboard grafix card.the mem i use is cheap.it is dynet (3-4-4-8 at 200Mhz),it costs abt 1050 three months ago.is it for RAM ?

Last edited:

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Right Click on "MY Copmuter"==>Properties==>"Advanced" (tab)==>under performance->"Settings"==>Advanced==>under "Virtual Memory"->"Change"==>set both "initial" & "Maximum" to 1024 MB. Click set, apply, OK.

You're Virtual Memory is 1GB now.

Techinator

Broken In
ya the method by s18000rpm is right. here r some tips

keep ur virtual divided on multiple partitions of HDD and have larger chunks on partitions on which ur games etc are not installed. this will ensure parallel reading from ur source game files and virtual ram. improves the performance...

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
But AFAIK, virtual memory is significantly sower than the more expensive RAM(otherwise why would anyone buy RAM?). So it is not really an ideal situation.

Can more experienced forummers clarify this?

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Maybe you'll get clarified here

*support.microsoft.com/?kbid=294418
*members.shaw.ca/bsanders/WindowsGeneralWeb/RAMVirtualMemoryPageFileEtc.htm

shaunak

Tux Fan
optimally your total virtual memory page file should be 1.42 times your "Actual" RAM. ie if you have 384 MBs under your hood your total virtual memory should be set at roughly 546 Mb. [total]

also for fastest performance the minimum and maximum values should be the same. ie range should be zero. eg. if you set the c page file to a maximum of 256 mb then the minimum should also be set at 256 so windows doesn't waste precious resources increasing or decreasing the page file.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
You shouln't disable the Virtual Memory.
you can keep it to a minimum, like 300MB, so that the WIndows services, etc,etc use it.

hey, when you have 2GB of RAM, have you tried the Windows Tweak, loading the whole kernel on to the RAM

WARNING if you are going to install Adobe Photshop, you better increase the Virtual Mem. to 1GB. or the Photoshp will not start.

Last edited:

nikku12982

Broken In
hey u all talking above 1GB ram, but i have only 256Mb ram(SD RAM),what should i do to increase virtual memory or how much can i put as my virtual memory.plz help.....

deepgeek2

Broken In
nikku12982 said:
hey u all talking above 1GB ram, but i have only 256Mb ram(SD RAM),what should i do to increase virtual memory or how much can i put as my virtual memory.plz help.....

To increase virtual memory..

s18000rpm said:
Right Click on "MY Copmuter"==>Properties==>"Advanced" (tab)==>under performance->"Settings"==>Advanced==>under "Virtual Memory"->"Change"==>set both "initial" & "Maximum" to 1024 MB. Click set, apply, OK.

You're Virtual Memory is 1GB now.

As far as the limit of VM is concerned you can theoritically set it to the amount of free space on hard disk.

You should divide Vm across multiple partitions.
Try installing Memory accelerators.They might help you.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
there's no Doubt that Virtual Memory is slower. Because the Virtual Mem. is a ALLOCATED SPACE in the HARD DRIVE.

taking 256-512MB RAM as example===
When there are many applications running , like Internet Explorer (5-8 windows)AntiVirus s/w (like Norton :D ), then there is a shortage in RAM (as always only around 400MB in a 512 ram is available), at this point the MS WINDOWS, fools the IE & other processes & then loads them into the Virtual Mem. (IE thinks its running in the RAM :D :D ).

the same happens with other processes, like AV, explorer.exe,.... when you play games.
here Windows gives all importance to the game application as it needs to run pretty fast. & most of the times (when u have 256/512 RAM),some of the game data along with other process is loaded up into the Virtual mem. (here also the game is fooled to think it is running on RAM), this is why you experience CHOPPY gameplay.(e.g. nfs mw)

MAIN function of Virtuam mem. is that it stores the FREQUENTLY used data onto it, so that the next time the application needs that info (as in games), it is loaded onto the RAM without any delay (as the app. doesn't has to search for it all over again).

Last edited:
OP
coolsunny

coolsunny

Journeyman
thanks,
but why Hitman runs slow? its minimum RAM requirement is 256mb.i dont think its for onboard grafix which is Geforce 6100.

Techinator said:
ya the method by s18000rpm is right. here r some tips

keep ur virtual divided on multiple partitions of HDD and have larger chunks on partitions on which ur games etc are not installed. this will ensure parallel reading from ur source game files and virtual ram. improves the performance...

For above how much i allocate virtual mem.i hav -c,d,e,f partions.all r equal & 256 mb ram for best performance. c-OS. d & e -games. f-videos,songs

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
@coolsunny, according to my experiences (when i had 256 ram), allocating the Virtual mem. in different partitions did not improve the performance.
If you apply this method, then your HD head has to do some heavy work.

BUT you can apply this method IF you have another HARD DISK, (other than O.S Hard Disk), this improves the performance of virtual mem.
the method suggested by @Techinator works best only this way. its a proven theory.

about Hitman, the game requires a min. of 256MB RAM, which your system does not meet. B'coz the onboard gfx. in your M/B is set such that, either 128/64 MB from 256 of RAM is allcated to it. Now you have only 128/192MB of RAM left to use.

here's a very useful site about virtual mem.
*www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm

@janitha "you should always have a virtual memory page file enabled on your system, regardless of how much RAM you have. In the unlikely event that an application runs ramped and gobbles up every last bit of your RAM, your system would most likely crash (if no page file was enabled). By not having a page file, you've essentially cut off your temporary memory "drainage" point, which can be dangerous."
==source== *www.infopackets.com/channels/en/wi..._separate_drive_letter_for_virtual_memory.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom