how to identify DDR400 RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

harshagarwal

Journeyman
i recently purchased two 512MB RAM of Transcend DDR400.

Now someone told me 400 in the term DDR400 stands for the frequency at which the RAM chips run is it true?

If yes is there any wat to findout what is the Freq at which the RAM is running.

Also i downloaded cpu-z and on the SPD page in the Max bandwidth column it says PC3200(200Mhz) is this the speed of my ram.

plz help me resolving this issue.

thanx in advance

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Yea,
DDR at 200MHz = DDR400 = PC3200

They are just different ways of expressing the ram spec. The first one says the actual frequency. The second one says the Effective frequency. And the third one says the effective data rate (3200MBps) of the ram stick.

AlienTech

In the zone
harshagarwal said:
i recently purchased two 512MB RAM of Transcend DDR400.

Now someone told me 400 in the term DDR400 stands for the frequency at which the RAM chips run is it true?

If yes is there any wat to findout what is the Freq at which the RAM is running.

Also i downloaded cpu-z and on the SPD page in the Max bandwidth column it says PC3200(200Mhz) is this the speed of my ram.

plz help me resolving this issue.

thanx in advance

Actually you have to go look at the Specs on the manufacturers web site. I posted the ones from Hyundai. Since my DDR266 and DDR400 ram chips are the exact same except the 266 is 256MB and the 400 is 512MB.

Its really weird since the 266 is programmed to run at CL 2.5 @ 133MHZ FSB while the 400 is programmed to run at CL 2 @ 133 MHZ. This is programmed into the little EEPROM on the RAM module. Of course the DDR266 does not have the 166 and 200MHZ information. It seems they will all run at all kinds of speeds depending on what latencies you use.

AND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have seen people run their DDR266 @ DDR600 speeds... That is over 100% faster than they were designed for.. IE at around 300 MHZ FSB...

Since I dont have a mother board that can tweak the ram chips properly I cant test to see if the DDR266 will run @ DDR400 speeds... I tried setting the manual ram speeds to 166 and it locked up after a while. But cant set any other settings so maybe thats it.

*www.hynix.com/datasheet/eng/dram/details/dram_02_HY5DU12822BT.jsp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom