How to hide a Particular Taskbar Icon

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitoman

Broken In
Hi,
I have a PC which is also used by some of my friends.The problem is that I use some programs that are for my personal use and I don't want anyone to see them or tinker with them. But when Windows starts they show up in the taskbar(Notification Area)
.I want them to not show up in the taskbar(Notification Area) but run in the background.Please suggest me how can I hide the icons from the taskbar(Notification Area) without shutting them off.I don't want to hide them using the option Taskbar>Properties>Customize>Always hide, because it is too easy to see them by by clicking the Show hidden icons button.I want to use a more secure and fullproof technique like by hacking the registry.Please help!

Last edited:

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Hi,
I have a PC which is also used by some of my friends.The problem is that I use some programs that are for my personal use and I don't want anyone to see them or tinker with them. But when Windows starts they show up in the taskbar.I want them to not show up in the taskbar but run in the background.Please suggest me how can I hide the icons from the taskbar without shutting them off.I don't want to hide them using the option Taskbar>Properties>Customize>Always hide, because it is too easy to see them by by clicking the Show hidden icons button.I want to use a more secure and fullproof technique like by hacking the registry.Please help!

use a software called taskbar hide...:D

PcEnthu

Linux Learner
1. Right click on the empty space icon in taskbar and choose properties
2. Check the 'Hide inactive icons' check box and click the 'Customize button'
3. Select the icon you want to hide and choose 'Always hide' from the right side combo box

Krazzy Warrior

"Aal Izz Well"
1. Right click on the empty space icon in taskbar and choose properties
2. Check the 'Hide inactive icons' check box and click the 'Customize button'
3. Select the icon you want to hide and choose 'Always hide' from the right side combo box

see the first post he had written:-

I don't want to hide them using the option Taskbar>Properties>Customize>Always hide, because it is too easy to see them by by clicking the Show hidden icons button.

OP
digitoman

digitoman

Broken In
The software suggested are not free.They have the required features disabled which is only available in the registered version.Please suggest another remedy.:confused:

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Try this -

Start->Run
"gpedit.msc"
User Configuration->Start Menu and Taskbar
Hide Notification Area <- disable this

Is this what you want?

OP
digitoman

digitoman

Broken In
Hi Mr. Dheeraj Kumar,
Thanks for your Reply but I wanted to hide a particular Taskbar icon not the taskbar itself.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
See if the application, whatever you dont want to show in the taskbar, has some option like "disable system tray icon" or something like that. Are you talking about the Taskbar button or the System Tray Icon?

dhanusaud

Ambassador of Buzz
@dhanusaud

He wants to hide it, not restore a hidden icon.

If he wants to hide taskbar icon that will work.

Really guys, I m lil bit confused wht he actually wants to hide. I don't know either he wants to hide taskbar icons or systemtray icons.

anyway digitoman if you want to hide taskbar icon, see the thread above I provided above, if you want to hide systemtray icon...let me describe..

Humm..hiding a specific icon from systemtray is impossible, becoz it has icon behaviour code in software not in windows. See if the software your are running has option to change icon behaviour. But if you want hide systemtray completely follow the steps below.

1) Select Start -> Run
2) Type "regedit" -> Enter
3) Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
4) Select "NoTrayItemsDisplay" in right hand side panel & set dword value to 1
5) Restart your system

Confirm urself the systemtray, it is completely hidded.:shock:

To restore the system tray set dword value to 0 & restart the system.

Last edited:
OP
digitoman

digitoman

Broken In
See if the application, whatever you dont want to show in the taskbar, has some option like "disable system tray icon" or something like that. Are you talking about the Taskbar button or the System Tray Icon?

Hi Mr. Dheeraj Kumar,
I'm talking about System Tray Icons or System Notification Area.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
*www.systrayx.com/index.html

If you can program, you should see the Shell_NotifyIcon function.

If you want to hide the system tray only, but all icons will be hidden, do this:

start->run->"gpedit.msc"
computer or user configuration(depending on your need) ->administrative templates->start menu and taskbar

"hide notification area" disable this. Restart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom