[How To]Get Java plugin & Flash work on a 64bit Distro

Status
Not open for further replies.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
Running a 32bit Browser on a 64bit Distro.

Pissed off with Flash and Java not working on a 64bit Distro ? here's a pretty simple guide to get sites to load java applets & flash.

Before proceeding, there is no javaplugin for a 64bit browser so all am doing is getting a 32bit_firefox along with required plugins to get it work on 64bit distro.
You can retain your existing version for firefox and use it too.

Download firefox & copy it to your home directory, run
Code:
tar xvf firefox<version>
Download Jdk(java development kit) or you can get Jre(java runtime env) & save some space.
In terminal:
Code:
mkdir /home/<username>/java && cd /home/<username>/java
now copy jdk<version> to /home/<username>/java
Code:
chmod 777 jdk<version>
./jdk<version>
creating link for java plugin
Code:
ln -s  /home/<username>/java/jdk1.6.0_03/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /home/<username>/firefox<version>/firefox/plugins/
copy the libflashplayer.so file to "/home/<username>/firefox<version>/firefox/plugins/"
For Firefox shortcut
Code:
ln -s /home/<username>/firefox<version>/firefox/firefox /home/<username>/firefox
you can directly run 32bit firefox from home dir by typing "./firefox".

To check if flash plugin is working play any youtube video & for java plugin opening <click here> will offer typing test.

Note: you cannot use older and downloaded firefox versions at same instance.
bookmarks,cache,addons vary for both versions.

Last edited:

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Not really needed anymore. Adobe has released a 64 bit flash plugin (alpha) which work GREAT! OpenJDK has a 64 bit java plugin. Sun has also released a 64 bit beta java plugin in JRE-6update12 (beta).

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
And you missed one important point, while on 32bit, you also need i386 versions of nspluginwrapper and alsa/pulseaudio libs to make it work.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
^^ No.. His method installs a 32 bit firefox itself. Nspluginwrapper is not required. But yeah, some 32 bit libs might be needed. Its just a very messy way IMO.

OP
vish786

vish786

"The Gentleman"
And you missed one important point, while on 32bit, you also need i386 versions of nspluginwrapper and alsa/pulseaudio libs to make it work.

ofc I have included i386 nspluginwrapper :p

& yes it definitely requires extra gtk libraries which messes up firefox looks but doesnt matter to that extent.

beta version of 64bit plugins are available but just tried a different way to get it work.

Last edited:

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Hmm included where? I don't see it :p

And copying the flashplayer plugin to /usr folder would be a better idea than into /home as obvious it is, to work across all users of the system.

Personal preferences :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
LoL, how are we supposed to know what is the content of the links if you don't mention it? I was searching the word in your post, you have not mentioned about it nor given any hints of its existence :p

Nonetheless it is ok, regular Linux users ought to be setup the way they want and new users would probably ask and search, so not a big deal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom