How to find the IP address of the sender in YAHOO & HOTMAIL

Status
Not open for further replies.

aman_agrawal

Broken In
Finding IP address in Yahoo! Mail

1.First of all log into your Yahoo! mail with your username and password.
2.Click on Inbox or whichever folder you have stored your mail.
3.Open the mail.
4.On the top-right side of the mail page, there is a hyperlink that says Full Headers. Click on it.
5.If you see Brief Headers and not Full Headers, then ignore step 4, and jump to step 6.
6.Look at the headers that are now displayed above the message.
7.Read the Received: headers and search for IP addresses between square brackets like this [ ].
8.Look at the example below to understand exactly how to do it.
I want to find the IP address of my parents who sent me a mail to my Yahoo!Mail account.
Here, my parents' IP address is 203.197.21.54.

Finding IP address in Hotmail
1.First of all log into your Hotmail with your username and password
2.Click on Inbox or whichever folder you have stored your mail.
3.Open the mail.
3.If you do not see the headers in the mail, click on the Options hyperlink
4.After you are in the Options page, click on the Mail button and then on the Mail Display Settings hyperlink
5.You should see the Message Headers
6.Select Full and click on the Ok button.
7.Now go back to the mail.
8.Look at the headers that are now displayed above the message.
9.Read the Received: headers and search for IP addresses between square brackets like this [ ].
10.Look at the example below to understand exactly how to do it.
I mailed myself to my Hotmail account (which I actually never use!!).
Here, I find the originating IP address is 69.140.6.181. (The other IP address within square brackets 216.136.129.183 is not the originating IP; it is the IP of Yahoo's mail server)

anna_don

Broken In
but why??? Is there any specific use in finding the IP address of the system 4m where the mail was sent?

anomit

In the zone
but why??? Is there any specific use in finding the IP address of the system 4m where the mail was sent?

lol man..... :twisted:

It seems u never have been a victim of spamming and all other bad stuff.

And this topic has been discussed sever al times before.

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
I would like to raise a question that if we know the ip address of spammer then how we can use it to block access of that sender to avoid spam.

Biplav

In the zone
u need ip for various location finding.
as already pointed out for spamming.,
some of ur friend might be playing pranks with u by sending anonymous mails. u can check this now with his/her mail address.

further any crime act done or mailed can be traced to the location where it had been done.
knowing Ip address is a fundamental subject now.!!!

anomit

In the zone
The Incredible said:
Do u know how 2 trace

Well, there are quite a number of paid visual IP tracers such as VisualIP Tracer Pro which will show the geographical region of the IP address on a map.

Or, if you are enterprising and dont want to use canned tools, you can use the tracert command to see the routers along the way to the IP address you have.

Now you can perform a whois of the IP address that comes just before the reqd IP address on the window to atleast find out which country the IP address is in.

I am telling about the previous addr 'cause it is often the firewall or router for the comp you want to know about.

P.S. Also a whois of the IP address you get hold of is not a bad idea.

More often than not you wont find the real culprit because there are lakhs of zombie comps all over the world that help in spreading the spam.

Biplav

In the zone
@incredible

as already pointed out try this:
*whois.sc/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
replace the xxx.... with the ip address.
else visit this site:
www.ip2location.com
both are good though i think whois has a larger database but no option of geographic representation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom