how to enable usb ports?

gramesh

Journeyman
hi

as some of the computers in our office got infected with virus due rampant use of usb sticks, I tried to disable usb ports in one of the pc through device manager.

When one of the ports were disabled mouse stopped working, hence I enabled that port. Thereafter I disabled one or more ports and it was ok. After that in the next step I disabled the next port in the list, oooops mouse and keyboard stopped working.

I tried to undo the above by using ps/2 - usb adapter and connecting the usb mouse and keyboard to these adapters. But the pc is not recognising the mouse and keyboard.

The pc in question is HP pc with Win xp prof sp2.

Please tell me how to undo the above?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
put keyboard and mouse in desired port..green for mouse violet for keyboard..restart windows and wait for driver installation to complete..its automatic,dont press cancel or cut it

OP
G

gramesh

Journeyman
try to run in safe mode.. or check anyother USB port.. may b any port is still enabled..

when the KB is not detected how could you go to safe mode?

put keyboard and mouse in desired port..green for mouse violet for keyboard..restart windows and wait for driver installation to complete..its automatic,dont press cancel or cut it

yes I did but still the pc not detected KB and mouse.

However I connected a ps/2 KB and undid the process. Suppose if the pc was not having the ps/2 port then how to solve this problem?

before disabling ports find what it is connected to. random disabling of ports may shutdown wifi and bluetooth for laptops

see:
View any installed/connected USB device on your system

Top Bottom