how to do low level formatting ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam9999

Broken In
I got bad sectors on my HDD and I wanna format it so that I can get rid of bad sectors. Can someone tell me how to do Low Level Format .

kl_ravi

Journeyman
Hereis some relevant information before you preceed with low level formatting ...

*www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/geom/formatUtilities-c.html

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Low level formatting won't get rid of bad sectors. if u want to sell the drive but don't want the buyer to know abt the bad sectors on the drive .... u can perform low level formatting on the drive. but if the drive is scanned again thoroughly it will show the info abt the bad sectors on the drive.

u can use HDD regenerator to low level format. Try these links too :
*www.tomdownload.com/utilities/file_disk_management/hdd_regenerator.htm
*www.gold-software.com/download7605.html

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
I heard of Active@ Kill Disk which does low-level formatting.
But u 've to pay for it.

Try this freeware utility:
HDD Low Level Format Tool
This freeware Low Level Format utility will erase, Low-Level Format and re-certify a SATA, IDE or SCSI hard disk drive with any size of up to 281 474 976 710 655 bytes. Will work with USB and FIREWIRE external drive enclosures.

From my past experience, if u got bad sectors, give a full scandisk to detect all possible bad sectors. Repeat if possible.
Once all the bad ones are noted, give it a full disk format using standard Windows/DOS formatting. Repeat if possible.

That should get the job done. No need of trying other methods. Simply waste of time. And mind u, once bad sectors creep in, they'll come back pretty soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom