How to decide on processor

rishabh

Broken In
while analysing a laptop what should be given more importance - processor ,variant or clock speed? considering 4 gb ram.
For someone who has been on a hp mini with intel atom processor and 1.8 ghz of clock speed and looking for something obviously better than this (btw i never had any problem with it..haan thoda toh atakta hai :p just moving ahead with time) and "jo zyada (ya bilkul) atkega nahi"

Last edited:

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
It all depends on the usage scenario and slightly on budget too.

Regular browsing, office suite, a movie, basic games(Angry birds etc) : an Atom is enough.

For gaming, HD movies, rendering: a better processor like Intel Core i5 or an AMD APU is benificial.

Anyways if you are looking for a new laptop, fill this *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156722

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Well the most important thing is obviously processor. Two reasons for it- first, as it's the main component which partly decides your overall performance, and second, it "mostly" can't be upgraded. This, combined with 4 GB of RAM and fast enough HDD (7200rpm), and your system will be butter smooth.

Coming to your exact requirement, even a PDC (pentium dual core) will do. And and and, if you plug an SSD, then only god can save you from going gaga :p.

PS: ab ye system kabhi nahi atkega :)

Buy any laptop with 3rd gen core i5. Uske baad tumhara lappy gg kaam karega.
If you are into gaming, pay equal attention to graphic card and processor. Buy a lappy in which they compliment each other, not become a bottleneck.

OP
R

rishabh

Broken In
@all final budget = 40k . I'll buy the lapto from lamington (reliable store) so will get a discount of appx. 8-10% in general from the flipkart prices.
one of the most important criteria is it should be slim and light (how i wish i could get a i5 hp envy in my budget :p)

@DASHING.sujay can we add an ssd to a laptop keeping the original hdd or we just have to replace the hdd? if yes then i could use the money saved on a 64gb ssd (believe me it'll be enough for my purpose..would just put the OS and program files on it) IF you suggest me something..

@harsh ya i guess i should go with 3rd gen i3/i5 .No gaming bro, just lots of movies, infinite internet browsing and maybe some useful college work in future .

was earlier convinced to get a hp probook 4440s but since i can wait i thought lets do some research :p also is it THICK as it looks in pics?

Last edited:
OP
R

rishabh

Broken In
so i've decided to make the final call between-:
1) HP Probook 4440s
2) new Dell inspiron 15r 5521

just saw the inspiron on flipkart really liked it at first sight (sleeker than hp with same weight).
so which one should i go for?
if dell then which config among these 2;
a) Dell Inspiron 15R 5521 Laptop (3rd Gen Ci3/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph)
b) Dell Inspiron 15R 5521 Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win8)

both the laptops (hp and dell) have great reviews..

it would be great if there's a 14" version of the dell laptop?? or will release ( cos that would be lighter :p)

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
so i've decided to make the final call between-:
1) HP Probook 4440s
2) new Dell inspiron 15r 5521

just saw the inspiron on flipkart really liked it at first sight (sleeker than hp with same weight).
so which one should i go for?
if dell then which config among these 2;
a) Dell Inspiron 15R 5521 Laptop (3rd Gen Ci3/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph)
b) Dell Inspiron 15R 5521 Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win8)

both the laptops (hp and dell) have great reviews..

it would be great if there's a 14" version of the dell laptop?? or will release ( cos that would be lighter :p)

All the options you listed are overkill for your tasks. Just get any basic i3 based probook (4GB RAM) , and an SSD if you wish. That would be apt for you.

Wait wait wait. Both the dell laptops have corei5 3xxxU processors. Stay away from them. Whenever buying a laptop check if it has xxxxM processor not U. I got this knowledge thanks to tkin. U stands for ultrabook and these processors are low on performance.

OP
R

rishabh

Broken In
But i guess that should do no harm to me as I wanted;

1) light weight laptop
2) good battery life
and ulv proccesors are known for that.
also my usage is not so proc intensive. (movies and browsing 24/7)

P.S. ??

Top Bottom