How to create own distro with OpenSuse or Fedora!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sganesh

Journeyman
Hi guys!
i thought of building rpm based distro like SUSE,Fedora
I have a opensuse11 dvd and since it is free to modify, I was wondering how I could do some basic modifications to the version and rename it completely. I want to make some basic customized theme and nice softwares. I looked up Google for tutorials. But was unable to find a decent one.
i just saw Reconstructor software for tweaking Ubuntu .
i am no need of creating distro which has ubuntu origin!!
Can someone please give me step by step instructions to modify it or provide a link to do the same?
is it possble to rename or create our own distro using Fedora or opensuse?
Thanks a lot!

This is pretty old, but you can check it out:
*www.linuxformat.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Build_your_own_distro

Check these out too:
*www.linuxfromscratch.org/
*hehe2.net/linuxhowto/create-your-own-linux-distro/

This link is recommended by LifeHacker:
*www.informationweek.com/news/software/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205917063

Get familiar with the jargon of the source code (I'm sure you'll find help from the above links) and then dive into OpenSUSE's source code.

Next time, use google :wink:

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Well, it takes a lot of time and effort to make personal one-man distros not to mention the amount of patience you need to trial and error everything.

I don't know about OpenSUSE, but for Fedora, there is a tool similar to Reconstructor called Revisor using which you can create your own custom spins with codecs and all. However for any of such tasks on any distro, you *need* to have a fast net connection since it needs to download the packages, their dependencies, libs and all the she-bang of the packages selected.

My advice would be instead of starting a new one all by yourself, why not contribute and build up to an already existing one, an example would be Omega. This is a Fedora based custom distro with codecs and capabilities built out of the box designed by Rahul Sundaram with all Fedora branding removed.

Additional info can be found at *forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=206943

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom