How to copy Data from Desktop PC [no display] to External HDD or to another laptop?

pratheeshps

Journeyman
I have an old PC with a VGA port with a damaged display ..The PC is booting up & working normally...I have decided to sell off my old PC ..I need to copy data from 80 GB HDD inside & wipe it off...

Is there any possibility to copy data without using any external HDD closure? I do have a Laptop with an adapter [Display port to VGA cable]..

Is there any command could I use for this in Windows?..I have Teamviewer installed on both PC & I have tried it before to access both PC & transferred data through Wi-Fi network between them ..

Could I connect a cable [male to female VGA cable ] to my laptop cable [Display port to VGA cable] and access my old PC in my Laptop Screen?

Can You help?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
can you access the desktop from your laptop via teamviewer ? if yes.. then connect to the PC and share the drives and give correct permissions, also enable RDP, once its done you can access your drives from your laptop. you can also access your windows session via RDP.

EDIT: once you enable RDP you can connect to the system.
1. Open RUN, mstsc .
2. in the RDP window, select Options > Local Resources > More.. > Check Drives
3. give credentials and connect to your desktop

this way the all the HDD's will be shown in your PC and connected drives and you can copy data to your laptop.

OP
P

pratheeshps

Journeyman
can you access the desktop from your laptop via teamviewer ? if yes.. then connect to the PC and share the drives and give correct permissions, also enable RDP, once its done you can access your drives from your laptop. you can also access your windows session via RDP.

EDIT: once you enable RDP you can connect to the system.
1. Open RUN, mstsc .
2. in the RDP window, select Options > Local Resources > More.. > Check Drives
3. give credentials and connect to your desktop

this way the all the HDD's will be shown in your PC and connected drives and you can copy data to your laptop.

But How do I run Teamviewer in my Desktop with command prompt? How do I enable RDP without having another monitor?

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
^^I think OP's old monitor is having no display problem..so can't access windows on the same.

u need to connect another monitor (borrow from frnd) to access the HDD or else connect it to another PC.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
when you mentioned teamviewer I thought you were accessing the desktop already but had trouble accessing files. Hopefully both the comps are in the same network and workgroup.. try enabling RDP remotely .. check this article.

tkin

Back to school!!
I have an old PC with a VGA port with a damaged display ..The PC is booting up & working normally...I have decided to sell off my old PC ..I need to copy data from 80 GB HDD inside & wipe it off...

Is there any possibility to copy data without using any external HDD closure? I do have a Laptop with an adapter [Display port to VGA cable]..

Is there any command could I use for this in Windows?..I have Teamviewer installed on both PC & I have tried it before to access both PC & transferred data through Wi-Fi network between them ..

Could I connect a cable [male to female VGA cable ] to my laptop cable [Display port to VGA cable] and access my old PC in my Laptop Screen? -> Won't work.

Can You help?
You need an enclosure, or take the hdd to a friend's house, simple :)

Top Bottom