how to connect 2 computers (1 wireless & 1 wired) with 1 broadband connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

v_joy

Journeyman
Hey every1, I need your help to connect 2 computers (1 wireless & 1 wired) with 1 broadband connection.
Here r the details of the equipments I have:

1) MTNL TriB Unlimited connection.

2) D-Link ADSL router (provided by MTNL, on rent)
Model no: DSL-502T Ver:A1
It has a USB and Ethernet port behind it.

3) A desktop with D-Link LAN card (no wireless)

4) DELL XPS M1530 laptop
Wireless network card: Intel 4965 AGN wireless-N mini card

Both the computers are in different rooms with approx distance between them is 10 meters.
At present only my desktop is connected to internet, I have to move my laptop there to access net through it.
Please Help ASAP.

hansraj

In the zone
Does u r router has wireless facility???? i dont know if u r model has this feature or not.

hansraj

In the zone
in that case
1. Either u will have to connect u r laptop to the router with a rj-45 cross cable and then configure the network(provided this router supports two rj-45 out).
2. If u dont have the router with 2 rj-45 out but one usb and one rj-45 then u will have to use the rj-45 simple cable between u r desktop and laptop for internet connectivity. But the drawback is u r desktop will have to be on so as to surf on laptop. (Router connected by USB to desktop and rj-45 port available to use the cable so as to connect laptop.)
3. Best solution will be to buy a router with wireless capability. This will give u wired connectivity with the desktop and wireless with the laptop.

OP
V

v_joy

Journeyman
@ hansraj
my router has only 1 rj-45 port and 1 usb port.
so the solution 1 is not possible.
I dont want to be dependent on the desktop to access net on the laptop so sol. 2 is also out.
3rd solution sounds gr8.
plz give the detailed explanation on how to do this, which wireless router will be compatible to my laptop and will give best results, and what will be its cost....
My friend told me that the DSL net speed will drop by 30% appeox if i go the wireless way...
is this true....
plz help....
thanx in advance...

hansraj

In the zone
see i really dont think that the net speed drops by 30 % or so unless u r signal strength itself is too weak (which will not happen if u r not too far). I cant give u any text to support though googling will get u the correct technical results.
I have been using with wire and wireless both for my desktop n laptop and i find no difference at all even while downloading huge files (torrents as well) so i can assure u there is no problem with wireless networking.
As far as the wireless router is concerned then check out the following websites they may help in u r decision(i have the one given by bsnl so i didnt buy from the market)
*www.reviewgist.com/wireless-router-reviews
*www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/list.jsp?list=prodcat_cathome&prodcat_id=0

u can find the one which suits ur requirements if u have and try the same brand in local market. u might find it even cheaper than what it is listed

OP
V

v_joy

Journeyman
ok, suppose i get myself a wireless router how will that solve the problem for my desktop???
will it work if i connect my D-link router ( the one provided my mtnl) to the desktop with usb cable and D-link to wireless router with ethernet cable???
in this setting will my laptop and desktop could use net independently??
will a usb connection to desktop be a bottleneck to it???

what the difference b/w wireless-n and g and a??
which has best performance to price ratio??
which network standard should i go for??

@ joe2005 can u please tell me the details of your network router.....

Thanx in advance..........

dr_jimit

Journeyman
""Best solution will be to buy a router with wireless capability. This will give u wired connectivity with the desktop and wireless with the laptop. ""

Just go to MTNL office to get a type 4 modem, with wifi
u will have 4 lan, 1 USB, and 1 wifi [many wifi laptops u can connect]

u will only be paying 20 Rs/month more as rental, or better buy that modem.

COnfigure it to autodial[ ask them to do it]

Now ur desktop will be using LAN from modem, and laptop will be using wifi at any place in ur house, both at a time.
u can also add any more laptops easily.
can play LAN Games :D I love NFS on my similar home network.:D
u can add 5 pc in lan,more in wifi, for LAN PARTY :D :D

I wont recommend seperate wifi router, cos
more cost
more settings trouble
Enough range with BSNL router in 1 home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom