How to buy a New DVD Writer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stalin

Journeyman
I plan to Buy a New DVD Writer. Which brand can i go for? what will be it cost. How much data can it write at what speed and how long it will take to write a DVD ROM for 1 GB

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Hmm...to write a DVD of about 4gb takes 13 minutes in a 2X speed.

DVD writers:
1. Benq 16X burner : Benq 1600/1620 ->Same drive (1600), can be flashed into the 1620 (done by the company themselves) , officially using a Benq sanctioned firmware.Superb reviews out at CDRLabs and CDFreaks, indicate this is "THE" drive to own.
Cost: rs. 4500

2. Sony 720-b/720-a
A very good drive, only the second best after benQ :twisted:
Cost: rs. 4.8k

3. LG-4120B and 4160B
The good thing about LD drives is the can write almost all formats, including DVD- RAM
Cost: 5K

drgrudge

lol man, i have written as much as 15 DVD's on this speed and it tkaes around 14 mins to fill a one DVD-r of 4.5gb with a speed of 2X.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Depends on the media, you get local brands all the way from 20 bucks to good quality media at 70 bucks. That's of course, DVD-5/R media only.

mamba

In the zone
recently boght a lite-on 1673s 4 Rs 4.3k . its simply gr8 . recommend u this 1 . came out 2nd in the CHIP dvd writer shootout after gigabyte ( but gigabyte wasnt available at nehru place )

@drgrudge , 4.5 gB 8x moser baer writes in bout 5.5 mins . a local 4x ' scorpio ' takes 11- 12 mins . dunno how u r able 2 write on 2x in the same time .

moser baer 8x - 10 dvd spindle - Rs 350
scorpio 4x - 25 dvd spindle - Rs 390

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
drgrudge said:
lol man, i have written as much as 15 DVD's on this speed and it tkaes around 14 mins to fill a one DVD-r of 4.5gb with a speed of 2X.

mamba said:
@drgrudge , 4.5 gB 8x moser baer writes in bout 5.5 mins . a local 4x ' scorpio ' takes 11- 12 mins . dunno how u r able 2 write on 2x in the same time .
@drgrudge: i agree with mamba. which burner do you have? are you using some kind of modded firmware?

drgrudge

@drvarunmehta, i got a LG -4120B and i burn DVD at 2X speeds only which takes 13-14 mins.

See u get faster speed when u write at 4X or more....

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Who cares about the format wars? As long as the drive is able to write DVD+/-R/RW and standard DVD-Video, there is no problem. I hardly see anyone using DVD-RAM. The trouble with the format wars is a bit sorted out for this generation, as most newer drives are able to write +/- media as well as some that write to RAM media too. The trouble is with the next-gen drives.

vysakh

Padawan
drgrudge said:
Hmm...to write a DVD of about 4gb takes 13 minutes in a 2X speed.

for me burning a 700MB CD-RW at 4X takes atleast 8 minutes.
I used alcohol and noted that the speed was always in 3-3.5X speed range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom