How to boot from SATA drive?

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Ok I will retierate again. I want to get rid of the operating system that's on the IDE one. However I don't want to reinstall the operating system on the SATA one either. I just want to remove the IDE and just connect SATA.
So just disconnect IDE and then boot with SAT?

Tech&ME

Banned
1. Connect your IDE hdd only and boot into ubuntu using CD Rom drive as first priority in the bios.

2. Format the IDE hdd after taking backup.

3. Now connect SATA hdd and IDE hdd [both] and configure Bios to boot from SATA Hdd.

4. IF you get any error Report Back.

root.king

geek in action
Ok I will retierate again. I want to get rid of the operating system that's on the IDE one. However I don't want to reinstall the operating system on the SATA one either. I just want to remove the IDE and just connect SATA.

1st connect sata only and start the system ,what'll be happens post it back here.

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!

As I've already said in my previous post *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/cpu-motherboards/158185-how-boot-sata-drive.html#post1670774, you can try repairing your windows 7 bootloader using the Windows 7 DVD after removing the IDE HDD. Once you're done, the Windows 7 bootloader will be placed on your SATA HDD and your IDE HDD will be free.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
ya that should be a very easy way...
If u dont know how to set it in bios

connect only sata and boot from it if that worked (log in to xp and 7) fine , then post back i'll tell u the other way,.

1st connect sata only and start the system ,what'll be happens post it back here.

Sorry guys for the late reply. I was able to finally disconnect the IDE HDD. Now I'm able to boot using the SATA HDD. However I find that the time it takes to boot now is longer.
Initially it's displaying a blank screen with a cursor and then an Intel Welcome screen and then I'm able to get into the screen where it will let me select the operating system.

Is there any way in which I can make the boot up faster? Also get rid of the first two screens that appear. These first two screens don't appear when I have the IDE HDD connected.

hjpotter92

The Boy Who Lived
check for the pre-POST checks in your BIOS. Also, disable stuff like network/usb boots and 1394 adapter etc.

dude_gamer

Half Life2-Follow Freeman
@OP: Go to Start ---> Run now type "msconfig" & press Enter.
"System configuration" appear in which you have to click on "boot" tab.
there you will find both windows 7 & XP entry.
just click on OS which you want to delete (i.e windows XP) then click on Delete.
Apply & OK.
that's all (the screen of selecting OS will not appear).

Last edited:
OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
@OP: Go to Start ---> Run now type "msconfig" & press Enter.
"System configuration" appear in which you have to click on "boot" tab.
there you will find both windows 7 & XP entry.
just click on OS which you want to delete (i.e windows XP) then click on Delete.
Apply & OK.
that's all (the screen of selecting OS will not appear).

Bro I'm talking about the first two screens which appear that is the screen with cursor and the Intel Screen. I would obviously want the screen which helps me select the OS.

dude_gamer

Bro I'm talking about the first two screens which appear that is the screen with cursor and the Intel Screen. I would obviously want the screen which helps me select the OS.

ohhhhh :shock: my mistake,Your SATA Drive has both OS & you want both i forgot that.if i found any solution i will post here.

Disconnect your DVD Drive & start your PC.
if problem still remain, then disconnect your Hard disk also & start PC.
post result here.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
ohhhhh :shock: my mistake,Your SATA Drive has both OS & you want both i forgot that.if i found any solution i will post here.

Disconnect your DVD Drive & start your PC.
if problem still remain, then disconnect your Hard disk also & start PC.
post result here.

Disconnect DVD Drive? Why do I need to do that? And which HDD to you want me to disconnect.
I reconnected the IDE back again and I find the boot time is lesser as before and I don't even see the Intel Screen.

dude_gamer

I reconnected the IDE back again and I find the boot time is lesser as before and I don't even see the Intel Screen.
that's magic :shock:
I think your problem solved now.

i found solution for these:
Disconnecting HDD & ODD because... if Intel screen loads normally after disconnecting HDD & ODD then fault in HDD or ODD.
(Note: try to disconnect ODD first if no success then HDD also both)

if problem persist after following above steps then problem with PSU OR CMOS battery.

PSU : because may be it becomes weak so it cannot provide required voltage to system start normally

CMOS: if battery becomes weak then it create BIOS Loading problem.

Top Bottom