How optical Mouse is working..?? Link Pls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pr@k@sh

Journeyman
My Dear Friends

I want to know how optical mouse is working..??

how it know how much Y or x we Move..!??

Link pls...!!

if it use different technology..!! so pls. post all links....!!

Thanks...!!

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
it has a tiny camera 2 take pix of the surface,,,thats how it knows where the mouse is going...btw, here's the link:
*computer.howstuffworks.com/question631.htm

theraven

Technomancer
lol @nemesis
dud u provided the link but u didnt bother to check it :p
anyways .... there is no camera in an optical mouse
it is an "OPTICAL MOUSE"
therefore it uses "OPTICS" that is light energy
the wavelength used is of red light
and the component uses is a RED LED...
the LED gives out the light which is reflected from the surface the mouse is on ...
the reflections are sensed by a "SENSOR" which sends it to a processor which compares it to previous "IMAGES" of reflection

changes from previous "IMAGES" are detected and the mouse cursor moves on ur screen according to coordintates calculated

this is ofcourse a very crude explaination of optical mice ..

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
hmmmm...i guess u didnt read the loink theraven....look what it sez:

Developed by Agilent Technologies and introduced to the world in late 1999, the optical mouse actually uses a tiny camera to take 1,500 pictures every second. Able to work on almost any surface, the mouse has a small, red light-emitting diode (LED) that bounces light off that surface onto a complimentary metal-oxide semiconductor (CMOS) sensor. The CMOS sensor sends each image to a digital signal processor (DSP) for analysis. The DSP, operating at 18 MIPS (million instructions per second), is able to detect patterns in the images and see how those patterns have moved since the previous image. Based on the change in patterns over a sequence of images, the DSP determines how far the mouse has moved and sends the corresponding coordinates to the computer. The computer moves the cursor on the screen based on the coordinates received from the mouse. This happens hundreds of times each second, making the cursor appear to move very smoothly.

courtesy: www.howstuffworks.com

u r talking abt images and at the same time sayin that there is no camera...dude!!!! doesnt a camera involve optics????

theraven

Technomancer
hmmm i guess i DIDNT read that part
sorry @ nemesis tho i didnt mean to sound rude or anything
anyways i know i said images .... and i knew it could cause a stir
IMAGES doesnt necessarily involve the use of cameras ...
u get sonar images ... and they work on sound .. not cameras ...
similarly light reflection/refraction and change in beam properties can also create an image
:D
another example ? sonography ... xrays , MRI's ...
all work on technologies without use of cam
anyways that is not the point here ....
i was another the misconception that the camera wasnt used in the optical mouse ..
so thank u for pointing that out .. and sorry again

theraven

Technomancer
@nikhilverma
1) cuz the mouse uses RED LED's so everything is gonna look red :D
2) the camera is there to just DETECT surface changes ... not good enuff to SCAN as we talk in SCANNERS
3) area is too small .. so is the camera ....
even the handheld scanners that were available long time back had a certain "WIDTH" to it ...tho u had to run it thru the length
so imagine runnin the optical mouse trhu each line one by one :D
4) and most importantly .. if ur mouse worked as a scanner ... what would u use for a mouse ?? :D
sorry that was a bad one ....:lol:

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
hey theraven...i wasnt offended or anything...just wanted 2 say i was right...hehe....thats all....but gr8 reply 2 nikhil's question....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom