how necessary is good memory + etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazybutt

Broken In
i wanna save evry penny while upgradin...so just wanted to ask..what if i get d amd 3200+, 6600gt 256 and asus a8ne...but opt for cheap unknown memory (my already existing comp has dis 768MB ram...but of unknown quality)

how bad do i suffer...wats d difference some quality mem will make in my gaming experience

also is dere some upper bound or limit to d graphics card which will not suffer from any bottleneck if i hav d above mentioned 3200+ and asus mobo...is it d 7900...

and i have dis unknown company's PSU as well...how do i check whether its 400w and dat 12V thingi..(dis is lame...i know)
plz ans..

Ch@0s

In the zone
Look for what actual ICs exist on the RAM more than what brand you buy... Twinmos and Transcend with Samsung UCCC chips is pretty decent ram for the money. Will cost around 3500 rupees for a gig (512x2).

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
@crazybutt

its always better if you hav good Ram, .. It does matter
There is a big performance diff, between un branded n Transcend/Kingston/Cosair

Last edited:

Ch@0s

In the zone
rollcage said:
@crazybutt

its always better if you hav good Ram, .. It does matter
There is a big performance diff, between un branded n Transcend/Kingston/Cosair

Unfortunately thats not quite accurate... Brand means nothing. Its the individual ICs that matter and what timings/clocks they can do. If you get valueram from corsair or kingston its not going to be any better than run of the mill unbranded hynix or something similar. If you do get overclocking ram, it'll generally be better. But then again overclocking depends not just on your ram but also your motherboard and CPU too in case of athlon 64 chips as the memory controller is on the die. Bottomline is get the ram thats the cheapest you can find with good chips... in this case, Samsung UCCC is the best you'll get in India. It'll overclock a fair bit if you push it on a decent motherboard.

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
crazybutt said:
i wanna save evry penny while upgradin...so just wanted to ask..what if i get d amd 3200+, 6600gt 256 and asus a8ne...but opt for cheap unknown memory (my already existing comp has dis 768MB ram...but of unknown quality)

how bad do i suffer...wats d difference some quality mem will make in my gaming experience

also is dere some upper bound or limit to d graphics card which will not suffer from any bottleneck if i hav d above mentioned 3200+ and asus mobo...is it d 7900...

and i have dis unknown company's PSU as well...how do i check whether its 400w and dat 12V thingi..(dis is lame...i know)
plz ans..

U have 768MB ram ....that good.......but DDR ram chips will give u beter performance and will hold good in longer run and furure games and applications. Also is not necessary that if u buy new chip it will be compatibel with old ones.....so y comprise on ram chips..... which r like veins in our body which carrys blood..... ;).

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
i too am concernet about the impact of good ram modules over simple/cheep ones.

I have A64 3000+ on A8N SLI Prem + Cheep Hinex 512 DDR 400x2

most tests are average and the benchmarking/tweaking utils that came with the mobo also put the mem performace below normal...

how and where to get good performace modules that would be easy on the pockets too...
my rams had cost around 5000 (512MBx2)..

OP
crazybutt

crazybutt

Broken In
woops...i did forget to mention dat d ram i hav is ddr...
nyway...wil think abt all dese arguments now...thnx guys..

but wat abt d 7900 quesn and d PSU quesn....do reply to dose as well

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
Well I feel don't compromise on the memory....max u can save on the memory is 500-700..instead go for low-end speakers...normal cabinet
And u can go for a 3000+,it can be overclocked to perform equally to the 3200+/3500+....there u will be saving about 1000-2000...U can go for a 6600 GT with 128 MB....these are the places where u should be saving money..

Ch@0s

In the zone
Its better to stay away from the 7900 cards for now... especially the GT ones. They are falling dead like a pack of cards these days. Reason for it is unknown as of now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom