how many versions of a software are there??

gubbaraviteja

Right off the assembly line
Hello guys,
I'm trying to download a software from the Internet, there I have seen some link saying "Binary version of software is available".
what that actually means and what version is usually we download from the Internet? and are there any other versions that can be made available for a software?
Waiting for your reply...:)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
If possible please provide the link to the page, from where this message is informing you about the Binary version.
I have never came across such versions! I think, it must have meant, non-compiled version of the software, which I don't think you would require!

Hello guys,
I'm trying to download a software from the Internet, there I have seen some link saying "Binary version of software is available".
what that actually means and what version is usually we download from the Internet? and are there any other versions that can be made available for a software?
Waiting for your reply...:)

there two type of files for download regarding softwares

1. binary (contain exe for windows and packed files for linux depending on platform like deb rpm etc)

2. source code. (the source files. u have to compile them) generally there will be a make file for linux or C++ source code with the header and library

download the binary if u want to install it.

source is for alpha testers or for people who want to see what the prog is doing

always download the highest version but less than Beta (beta contains bugs).

eg. two binaries are available:
ABC v3.7 Beta
ABC v3.0

then download v3.0

the version is generally denoted by 4 digits like P.Q.R.S
P= major change
Q= minor change
R= build version
S= revision number

for more info see :
Software versioning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Revision control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Ok... I guess above post make me completely wrong... hehe.. :oops:
Nevermind...

Thanks for the clear answer arpanmukherjee1!

OP
G

gubbaraviteja

Right off the assembly line
there two type of files for download regarding softwares

1. binary (contain exe for windows and packed files for linux depending on platform like deb rpm etc)

2. source code. (the source files. u have to compile them) generally there will be a make file for linux or C++ source code with the header and library

download the binary if u want to install it.

source is for alpha testers or for people who want to see what the prog is doing

always download the highest version but less than Beta (beta contains bugs).

eg. two binaries are available:
ABC v3.7 Beta
ABC v3.0

then download v3.0

the version is generally denoted by 4 digits like P.Q.R.S
P= major change
Q= minor change
R= build version
S= revision number

for more info see :
Software versioning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Revision control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hello mukherjee,
Thank you for the information, I got clarified..:)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Personally I dont care about "bugs". I mean, SOMEbody have to beta-test the Beta's :))

Did you mean, beta may contain bugs? o_O :p

yup that's what i said. bugs that r left out due to various platforms, software conflicts, thread locks etc. thats what beta testing is for. the programmers could not feasibly test the software without external help ;)

BTW, nice explanation! :)

thank you

Personally I dont care about "bugs". I mean, SOMEbody have to beta-test the Beta's :))

that, my friend, is absolutely correct

Top Bottom