How Many of you installed Linux?

Did you Install Linux from the Digit DVD of Aug/Sept.

• I will When I will get time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
moshel said:
Well to begin i must say i dont like Linux!
Any specific reasons for that ? please elaborate...
moshel said:
I mean what is wrong with Windows....
??
moshel said:
The only reason Linux is safer is because no one has made viruses for Linux
that's not the case, its the security model of UNIX that's responsible... there's something called as POSIX... filesystems complying those specifications are far safer than proprietary operating systems ...
moshel said:
and also hardly anyone makes new softwares or games for Linux and even if someone makes it, it is hard to find.
Who said that ? Sometime visit < www.sourceforge.net > and you wont complain like this ...
moshel said:
The August issue gave the pros and cons of all the available Linux's and in that i saw
Me not a subscriber ... :) :) :)
moshel said:
i mean there is no Standard base of Linux Like windows 98.
I beg your pardon... what did you say just now ??? no standard ??? Please do your research/homework before complaining like this ... What standard are you talking about ??? ... can you point me out any such specific examples ? or is it just because someone said like that ?
moshel said:
So guys if u have installed Linux from the DVD then pls tell ur experience or even other linux users can tell about their own Experiences
Me not a subscriber and dont even have a DVD drive... but i've got a lot of experience to share...

SHell

Broken In
OPEN SOURCE is rocking.

I have both WINDOWS XP and Red Hat linux 9.

The latest in Linux is Fedora CORE 2.

and if u r a little more adventuruous, tryyyyyyy

SLAGWARE 10.

The future belongs to open source...............

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
well acc to me lycoris 1.4 rules the roost when it comes to graphics

xandros is a close second

linspire is third...

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
mail2and said:
well acc to me lycoris 1.4 rules the roost when it comes to graphics
xandros is a close second
linspire is third...
See, but these distributions are not completely Free Softwares... they contain proprietary software that's bundled with Free/Open Software...

Xandros for example contains a proprietary CD burning software that has serious limitations... Its just not ethical to use such distributions that are there to make money and to take advantage of the hype...

I stand by my Debian Box...

cnukutti

Broken In
My PCQLinux has almost all utilities for a common user and developer. BUt hey where is my XMMS?
Good now I remember I need to d'load it

OP
moshel

moshel

Padawan
I tried the Knoppix by burning it to a CD and ran it using the live CD option on the boot menu i inserted a line "lang=us" to change the language to us english but when linux started there were still somethings or maybe spellings written in german.....is it like that with all linuxes?

Moreover while the program auto configured my devices...it wasnt able to configure my sound card so the sound didnt work and also it didnt cofigure my Geforce MX 4000 card....is that a problem with linux or is it my computer?

Anyway i tried Linux.....looks good but complicated most of the things u will ever need are already installed... i will surely keep looking at it to see what it is all about

But Still "WINDOWS IS THE BEST"

JAK

What the Heck !
Hmm..
well LINUX sucks......BIG TIME.. :wink:

It cannot detect my HDD..It says HDD not found or some crap.. cuz its in a raid array lol...
I mean wtf..even win98 gets installed on my system without havin probs in detecting my HDD..I installed the Promise raid driver after comletein win98 installation..so cool

Same goes for WinXP..atleast the it starts off by copying files on my HDD..lateron the error is imminent if I donnot install my Promise Fasttrak 378 driver but atleast WinXP setup knows that my HDD is there and copies files to the HDD..lol

Freakin even Dos works...but not Linux

SO LINUX SUCKX.... :wink:

Will install it on my other PC though...2morrow...lol

Untill then LINUX sucks... :wink:

P.S: 2morrow it might Rock... :wink:

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
moshel said:
i inserted a line "lang=us" to change the language to us english but when linux started there were still somethings or maybe spellings written in german.....is it like that with all linuxes?
Nope... its not like that with every GNU/Linux distribution... Knoppix is a german distribution so its default locale is de ,... just verify what you've given at boot prompt again... here is what you have to type....

boot: knoppix lang=us

moshel said:
it wasnt able to configure my sound card so the sound didnt work and also it didnt cofigure my Geforce MX 4000 card....is that a problem with linux or is it my computer?
Nope... nothing is wrong with your computer or Knoppix... have you installed drivers for your GeForce in windows ??? similarly u've got to get drivers for Linux also... contact your vendor's website...

moshel said:
Anyway i tried Linux.....looks good but complicated most of the things u will ever need are already installed... i will surely keep looking at it to see what it is all about
And those that are not installed can be installed on-the-fly on CD also...

moshel said:
But Still "WINDOWS IS THE BEST"
It all depends on your requirements...

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
JAK said:
I mean wtf..even win98 gets installed on my system without havin probs in detecting my HDD..I installed the Promise raid driver after comletein win98 installation..so cool
You just are not installing proper RAID drivers and complaining.... Linux has been used on Servers for ages... dont you think there would have been support for RAID ever since ???

JAK said:
P.S: 2morrow it might Rock... :wink:
Strange ..... attitudes change so fast....

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Yo ppl lotsa clashing so i wanted to insert my teeny weeny post. I am doing a project that would bring peace to this forums. I am making a proxy server in Linux and gonna share the internet connection on windoz so isnt that cool and that to with out attending any classes. all on my own i think that i got that thing in me to do it. nobody in my class wants to hear abt it but still i want to do it. But any wayz man gnurag u please me thanks to ur posts. any time i have any doubt will u help me wit them. if u cant do u know any person that will help me?

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
djmykey said:
if u cant do u know any person that will help me?
I know the right person for these adventures... Ricky ... he even runs a website providing tech support to adventurous people like us... < www.linuxsolved.com/forums >

Check out the servers and tutorials section... it already has some information about how to go about installing a proxy server...

oldmonk

Broken In
Hmm..
well LINUX sucks......BIG TIME..

It cannot detect my HDD..It says HDD not found or some crap.. cuz its in a raid array lol...

Promise fast track 378 is supported by linux.

Just like you have to load drivers for xp and 98 you have to do the same for linux.
If youre at the least interested you can do a google search to find out how to make it work for you.

Sometimes a little research pays off!!!!

If you want to stick with dos , 98 and xpee then, well .............

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

JAK

What the Heck !
oldmonk said:
Hmm..
well LINUX sucks......BIG TIME..

Promise fast track 378 is supported by linux.

Just like you have to load drivers for xp and 98 you have to do the same for linux.
If youre at the least interested you can do a google search to find out how to make it work for you.

Sometimes a little research pays off!!!!

If you want to stick with dos , 98 and xpee then, well .............

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Hmm..

thankx for being so nice.. :wink:
But cud u help me in finding them... :wink:

oldmonk

Broken In
thankx for being so nice..
But cud u help me in finding them...
my pleasure but wihich distro are you using and i need a detailed configuration of your pc!!!

for a start try switching the eide mode in the bios from sata to pata? if you have that option?

JAK

What the Heck !
oldmonk said:
my pleasure but wihich distro are you using and i need a detailed configuration of your pc!!!
for a start try switching the eide mode in the bios from sata to pata? if you have that option?
Suse 9.1 n Redhat... :wink:

Hmm...
u can get my config in my siggy
Anyway here it is

Prescott 3.2-->Ausu P4C800 Delux Mobo--> Promise Fasttrak 378 integrated raid controller(Need Driver)-->3Com gigabit Ethernet controller(already found driver for this)

Frankly just find me the Promise Fasttrak 378 Raid Controller Driver and I 'll do the rest.... :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom