How Many of Us Uses Pirated/Cracked Software

Do u use pirated software?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

crashuniverse

In the zone
it shd be used but when we have enough money that we can comfortably buy it, we shd cos just imagine the efforts companies put to launch their producy=ts.

but they need to be cheaper.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
well i think it cant get cheaper coz if it goes cheaper then no programmer will et a good salary and no body will work...
well its the same otherway round too...

kumarmohit

Technomancer
enoonmai said:
By the way, i don't steal from local stores coz its ILLEGAL and software piracy is NOT (in our country. PS: I'm from Nepal)

LOL, I didnt obviously know that, but its not a question of whether its illegal in your country or not, when you install the software, you agree to the conditions that are laid down by the developer in the End User License Agreement (EULA) and installing/reinstalling/cracking means that you are breaching that contract. :D

In that case my dear as per the law its a breach of contract not software piracy -- since there was no software copyright law in NEPAL and technically piracy of software here is reinstalling cracking and other blah blah he was not infringing any copy right since (AKA piracy)as per the law of land in Nepal sw is not a prdct which can be cpoyrighted and u can not therefore infringe copyright where there is no copyright, I know there is a loop hole in Nepalese law but as long as the loophole exists u can't say that he is breaking the law.. if he is installing the sw within the territorial jurisdiction of Nepal or any where inside the Nepalese embassy premises where Nepalese law is applicable

And if u are talking abt that in a the sense of cdns laid by developer than u shud kno that most of the provisions u quote regarding the EULA seem to be derived frm the Digital Millenium Copyrights Act which is niether applicable in India nor Nepal or for that matter any where in the world except US

And unless u are 1 of those who think that the world begins and ends in the USA "NO PUN INTENDED" I think u shud google for the term SOVEREIGNITY

Sreekanth V

Journeyman
I didn't think the word piracy exist.
It is the word created by the monopolies.
They create the law and I won't like to obey them.
Their law suits for them and not for us.
In a perfect world every one can use any software legally and have to pay only for after sales support.
Since it is not a perfect world, what I can say.

The world is going in the wrong direction.
Nobody can stop it. Our earth will become the Hell one day. We are going in that way. Every government, every law, every people, are going in that way.

Anyhow let us continue to live so. Let us continue these discossions, and let the discussions continue till the end of the world.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
kumarmohit said:
And if u are talking abt that in a the sense of cdns laid by developer than u shud kno that most of the provisions u quote regarding the EULA seem to be derived frm the Digital Millenium Copyrights Act which is niether applicable in India nor Nepal or for that matter any where in the world except US

And unless u are 1 of those who think that the world begins and ends in the USA "NO PUN INTENDED" I think u shud google for the term SOVEREIGNITY

huh ? EULA is derived from Digital Millenium Copyrights Act ???? Oh please. One set of derivations is not applicable to all. A lot of the contractual agreements have a lot of grey areas agreed. So you stay in Nepal good for u! Pirate all u want mate. Oh and as for sovereignity, I think we all know what that means, don't think we need a googled lesson for that. Perhaps you need a googled lesson on what Piracy is.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
icecoolz said:
huh ? EULA is derived from Digital Millenium Copyrights Act ???? Oh please. One set of derivations is not applicable to all. A lot of the contractual agreements have a lot of grey areas agreed.

Derived in the sense that its structure derives its legal status eg in some countries unless u actually sign on stamp paper and get it registered in a court of law no agreement is called a contract Its only after being written in ink and on paper and being registered in a court of law and therefore becomes a LEGAL BINDING CONTRACT, just accepting EULA by clicking Yes can NOT amount to an act to be considereded as a legally binding contract justifiable in a court of law whereas as per the DMCA clicking Yes ties u to a legally binding contract justifiable in the court of law( I shud not have used the word derived at the first place but I am not a lingustic expert.)

icecoolz said:
So you stay in Nepal good for u! Pirate all u want mate. Oh and as for sovereignity, I think we all know what that means, don't think we need a googled lesson for that. Perhaps you need a googled lesson on what Piracy is.

Again when u say Pirate u beat the entire purpose of my post .. My dear Software CANNOT be pirated as per the law of Nepal ... On a ligher note hoever I stay in New Delhi, India and study In Campus Law Center , Univerity of Delhi .. but do you know that the particular nepalese individual abt whom I was talking can very well sue u for defamation as per the law of both India and Nepal for calling him a pirate .

Dont get excited m8 but the pt that I am trying to make is it is for the courts and laws to define wat is a crime ( I some other post I read some other guy calling software piracy as Rape of software industry) and not for us .. wat may be crime here may not be a crime somewhere else eg homosexuality which is crime in India but not in USA Similarly even tho as per Indian law u have the freedom of expression but if u call a Nepalese citizen subject to Nepalese law copying software within the territorrial limits in which the nepalese law is applicable a Pirate -- he wont be guilty of what u call piracy -- but u shall sure be defaming him as per the laws of India, Nepal and USA too :p

praka123

left this forum longback
M$+US of A,Yesterday they said Piracy,Today Patents for softwares,Digital Right Management. :evil: and tomorrow your body should be also be patented for ... :x

gdatuk

Ambassador of Buzz
am surprised to see the poll results..at 18 says they dont use it...till now
i have used pirated sw all my life...i will use them until softwares are reasonably priced and tagged in indian rupees..in accordance to indian economy...e.g: tell me which home user will buy Adobe cs2 for 1199$? and how many home users will buy adobe cs2 if it priced at 5000Rs?

icehot

Broken In
indian credit card

I am ready to buy software but I own only an indian credit card and not global credit card.
Is there any software I can buy using indian card over internet

kato

Karthiksn
dont tell this to anyone but here in my institute my sir suggests me the names of w@rez sites

icehot

Broken In
original software

I have mastercard valid in INDIA only

Also, I want to discuss about problems with original software.
I have purchased norton AV and win xp home totaaling Rs.5500. I purchased them bcos I feel they really help me in my daily PC home life .

I have an original norton antivirus and after 1 year I had to renew my subscription. When I contacted the symantec office they replied that the concerned person was not available. I contacted thrice in a week and gave my mobile number. No one called me from their office. I dont like this business of renewal. And I understand that to renew my subscription I must have global card.

There is a software called system optimizer originating from India and they also dont accept indian cards.

I have original windowsxp home edition.When I changed my PC I could not use the serial no of the original cd. I contacted microsoft office. They confirmed my identity nd gave a new number and now it is working.
I dont know if I have to upgrade my PC again, what I have to do.

I dont like the idea of my original cd unable to be used when I change my PC. Even Norton has this problem.

devil666

Broken In
Well obviously there are issues. I mean i dont see why a Home user or a student spend so much money on MS Office when he only wants to make a couple of presentations an year. Now ofcourse there are open source alternatives but that wasnt the case until a while back.

I have a genuine windows XP that came with my Compaq Presario and i use open source/free software for all my other needs. the only pirated stuff i get are the games which are either too old to buy from the shop or too overpriced for their mediocrity. I cant run most new games on my Intel 845G anyways.

But i'm seriously against the software pricing. Dreamweaver from Macromedia was some 12k in 2000. And i used to make a website to post my resume. And thats a little too much for a one time use. Its only a software to make websites(may be a good one at that). But i would never be able to buy it simply because i'd rather buy some RAM or even upgrade my old motherboard instead of spending it all on some website making software. The softwares are just overpriced and there is no reason or justification for them to be. Until the Software Moghuls realise this, the privacy will continue to thrive.

I dont think its the mentality of people to buy some Rs 30 pirated CD even if the orignal costs some 100 bucks. People would buy an original if they can. Who would want to live with a pirated and buggy version which doesnt come with any kind of support when they can get something genuine just by paying a little more.

I believe most of the ppl here are subscribers or one time subscribers of Digit. So if we can spend some 125 bucks per month on a tech mag. I dont see why any of us here would shy away from buying Genuine software if it is reasonably priced. From the poll results and the posts it defnitely seem otherwise.

Kniwor

Learner
I remember someone once posted

"Softwares are like girls, if u are ready to spend on them, they will make u spend"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom