HOW MANY OF US HAVE GOT WINDOWS?

DO u have a dual boot with windows

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Satissh S

Youngling
Even if they release sp17 they can't fix all the bugs within windows. Becozz a new bug and a new security flaw is detected every day. This is not to discourage any windozee user but this is what the philosophy of opensource signifies... Since the amount of programmers who view the code is unlimited and not confined to a specific Organisation and hence Windozee can Never become more secure than linux.....

OP
champ_rock

champ_rock

champ_rock
yeah also u can secure a house as much as u can but if its foundation is shaky then it is bound to fall

windwos has basic system faults which need a total revamp ... a totally new code would help microsoft.......

OP
champ_rock

champ_rock

champ_rock
n o no i am saying that windows has faults from the starting... even windows 95 crasshed..
microsoft is trying to patch up a broken piece of glass for example...
however hard they patch it up ... it will still remain broken only??????
it will not become original right...

Satissh S

Youngling
vignesh said:
Tried Opensuse ?
No! But, will SuSe become proprietary as Redhat Enterprise Linux??... I don't think so. Actually Yast first had a seperate license that didnot allow it to be distributed, until release 9.1, when it was changed to GPL. :roll:

Ashis

In the zone
I have a dual boot but by default I enter into windows...GNU-Linux Rocks But i don't have many Software what I use here in Windows!

Again I understand Windows much better that Linux...Even though I have studied RedHat Linux 6.0 & haven't studied Windows. :wink:

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
Ashis said:
GNU-Linux Rocks But i don't have many Software what I use here in Windows!
Ofcourse you'll not have many software what you use in Windows, but you'll find alternatives here. May i know which all software you miss ?

firewall

In the zone
Ashis said:

oops.. even i do miss a lot of software in my friends box running windows. lol

desertwind said:
.....but you'll find alternatives herebut you'll find alternatives here....

Well there is no scope of mentioning the word "alternatives". " Similer" - this is much appropriate. as how could K3B, for instance , be alternative for Nero or wahtever as Gnu/linux is completely a different OS.

Am using the gnu/linux since 2001 and nevver found if i am missing something

:)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I did dual boot my linux with XP till my computer got formatted a few days back due to a misunderstanding. Then, i decided to keep off windows. I'm currently dual booting Slackware (primary) with FC3 and am looking forward to installing FreeBSD and Solaris in the vacations. Will have to reinstall XP when college starts as i got a lot of work on word and powerpoint which aren't 100% compatible with Openoffice.org. So, gotta go back to XP sooner or later, can't keep windows off however much you like.

mehulved

>>Well there is no scope of mentioning the word "alternatives". " Similer" - this >>is much appropriate. as how could K3B, for instance , be alternative for Nero >>or wahtever as Gnu/linux is completely a different OS.

In this instance. There is an alternative. Nero is available for linux now. Though not as feature rich as windows applications, big companies have started porting their products to the linux environment :D . Hopefully one day soon i can get rid of windows from my desktop.

Ashis

In the zone
desertwind said:
Ashis said:
Ofcourse you'll not have many software what you use in Windows, but you'll find alternatives here. May i know which all software you miss ?

Opera
Yahoo! Messenger
JetAudio
Download Express
LimeWire PRO
Azureus
Macromedia Dreamweaver
Animation Shop
Ulead VideoStudio
Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
Windows Media Player
Adobe Photoshop CS
Object Desktop
Norton Internet Security

The list just goes on............. :wink:

bikramjeet

Right off the assembly line
i have installed linux and windows in two diff hard disks...but prefers linux...even as a beginer...i would prefer the penguin.............

just get wit it.......

mehulved

desertwind wrote:

ashis wrote
Opera
Yahoo! Messenger
JetAudio
Download Express
LimeWire PRO
Azureus
Macromedia Dreamweaver
Animation Shop
Ulead VideoStudio
Windows Media Player
Adobe Photoshop CS
Object Desktop
Norton Internet Security

Hello ashis, most of these applications are available for linx too so how you gonna miss them by using linux?
We got opera, yahoo messenger, azureus for linux too and some other alternatives. Though VS.net has none and norton internet security suite is almost useless on linux.

Yeah but I miss the crashing of windows once in a while :twisted:

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
Ashis said:
desertwind said:
Ashis said:

Opera
Yahoo! Messenger
JetAudio
Download Express
LimeWire PRO
Azureus
Macromedia Dreamweaver
Animation Shop
Ulead VideoStudio
Windows Media Player
Adobe Photoshop CS
Object Desktop
Norton Internet Security

The list just goes on............. :wink:

Opera - Opera
Yahoo! Messenger - Yahoo Messenger
JetAudio - mplayer, rhythmbox, xine etc.,
Download Express - Downloader for X, gwget, kget
LimeWire PRO - Limewire PRO
Azureus - Azureus
Macromedia Dreamweaver- nvu, BlueFish
Animation Shop - gimp with gimp animation pluglin (gap)
Ulead VideoStudio - kino, LiVES
Microsoft Visual Studio .NET - Qt Toolkit, Mono Project, GTK, dotgnu
Windows Media Player - mplayer, xine, totem
Adobe Photoshop CS - gimp
Object Desktop - I dont get what this thing is.
Norton Internet Security - iptables

And this list is not a complete one. only those come in my mind on a fisrt thought.

Satissh S

Youngling
Just to add to desert's post
Object Desktop --> kde-look.org themes, Besides that you have excellant icon sets and themes in built in kde and hundreds to download from kde-look.org.
Photshop ---> Gimp is an excellant alternative but in vector grafix Inkscape rocks too...
Norton Internet Security ---> You don't need this. Just for the paranoid few.. Iptables firewall and bitdefender for linux.
Macromedia Dreamweaver ---> oowriter in web development mode is good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom