How many are Using Debian and derviatives

Did u Use Debian or its derivatives which one?

• Mepis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ubuntu

• Xandrows

• Linspire

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ujjwal

Padawan
Hey where can I get mp3 plugins for xmms I've tried a few places t in vain. I need it for Slackware for the moment. And gimme links for debian too.

Slackware's XMMS does not come with mp3 support? I use slackware 10.1 and XMMS plays MP3 files without a problem. Maybe you could remove your xmms package and replace it with a one for 10.1 from www.slackware.com/pb

cnukutti

Broken In
I use Debian Sarge and also Ubuntu Breezy
Breezy just rocks, but must configure my mouse to work.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
anyone got xmms-wma plugin..after longtime i installed this..great one plays all .wma easy... :)

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
Just for debian Sarge 3.1r0a USers.here is my /etc/apt/sources.list:
Code:
 deb *security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free

deb ftp://ftp.nectec.or.th/pub/linux-distributions/Debian/ stable main contrib non-free
deb-src ftp://ftp.nectec.or.th/pub/linux-distributions/Debian/ stable main contrib non-free

deb     *people.debian.org/~nobse/xorg-x11/   sarge  main

deb    ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/         sarge  main

deb    *www.planet-moll.de/debian/            sarge  main
You can get adobe acrobat,mplayer,Xorg backported for sarge and more automatically installed via apt.. :D :D caveat u got BB.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Hey prakash can u tell me how u got xorg on ur debain from apt-get. I mean what do u type as the name of the package?

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
@tech:
I typed after proper xorg sources.lst in /etc/apt :
$sudo apt-get update
$sudo apt-get-upgrade(will install xorg)
$sudo apt-get install xserver-xfree86(or xserver-xorg)
Or launch synaptic select xserver-xfree86 dummy pack for upgrade to Xorg.
Best of Lux :D

sourav123

Thinking Different
Hi all.

I am a linux newbie. Currently I am using SuSE 9.2 Pro but I want to switch to Debian (or its derivatives) because I don't like proprietory software. Please tell me which is the recent version and what's the size regarding no. of CDs/DVDs? Also please tell me how can I get the package in India. I stay in Kolkata.

Thanks for any reply.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
The latest stable release of Debian is 3.1

There are about 9 cds/2 dvds

For getting a dvd

*www.debian.org/CD/vendors/#in

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
I'll suggest if u got BroadBand d/l debian netinstall cd(<150MB) and configure
ur BB connxn and d/l and install during night/free time..even u can try etch distro(testing)...

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
prakash have u tried netinstall ?

What'll be the size of a nominal workstation install ?

and can you resume install ?

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
@riyaz :
I tried netinstall using dataone for my uncle who wants debian for his lateX works,,,it is eqiuvalent to cd install except downloading packages according to your setup.in the process installer will ask you to setup your internet connection.beware of the ncurses installer while selecting preset install options.for eg; Installer showing which preselected package collection to install .the options given are like Desktop env,server install,.. etc..there is already graphical(Desktop) environment appeared to be marked.but it isn't.
u need to select needed by using '_' space bar;thus there will be two aestrich(*) marked.a Desktop install needs some 500~=MB download (not sure)
If U r expert U can select packages manually by aptitude...

sourav123

Thinking Different
desertwind said:
The latest stable release of Debian is 3.1

There are about 9 cds/2 dvds

For getting a dvd

*www.debian.org/CD/vendors/#in

What is meant by a 'stable' release? :roll:

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
There will be two kind of releases

1. stable : This one is the last publicly released version of a software that is tested completely, and bugfixed.

2. testing : These releases are updates to the last stable releases, and will contain experimental features. Testing releases may contain several bugs, as their primary aim is to find these bugs in the experimental features. These are also known as beta releases. Beta releases are not advised for end users. Use at your own release.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
Really Happy to find Intel drivers for debian sarge 3.1 in their website...

*www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/205172.htm?iid=linux_overview_Drivers&

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom