How long before local storage is dead?

socrates

In the zone
Whats your opinion A cloud-based world is just around the corner... or is it?
See: How long before local storage is dead? | News | TechRadar UK

Would you trust some else with your data. Would large organization trust some else to host their data of course v large companies could host thier own cloud computing centers with the inherent issues. Post out opinnion

papul1993

not a newbie.....
What about bandwidth? Transferring that amount of files to a cloud based server from your local hdd and working without the local hdd will require high bandwidth and low ping rates. In India its still a dream.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Local Storage can never be just "dead". People won't (and shouldn't) rely on Just a cloud based service, for their sensitive documents.

Siddhartha_t69

Journeyman
Local storage can never be dead. Its like asking, Will the keyboard and mouse be dead because there are tablets and touchscreens everywhere these days?

rosemolr

Journeyman
Unless untill TRAI do something to increase the bandwidth for indian internet users,I think cloud storage is not feasible in india.

abhidev

Human Spambot
India has a long way to go to match the bandwidth requirements for cloud computing....here a normal MTNL 3g service keeps on dropping even when your are in the same location....:lol:

OP
socrates

socrates

In the zone
Personally I would like to keep my data on my local hdd rather than keep it elsewhere & its not much to do with connectivity or bandwidth or costs. It's just that I would like to take responsibility for my data. Maybe I am being old fashioned :)

john221

Right off the assembly line
Personally I would never trust anyone with my sensitive data, idc if its stored on google servers or w/e...
Imagine getting caught with your pants down..lol jk :)

gameranand

Living to Play
Personally I will keep all my data on my HDD rather than cloud. And here in India sometimes a sharing site is blocked sometimes other so I can't take that risk. Storage will NEVER BE DEAD. :)

iinfi

mekalodu
In around 3-6 years average home users will stop buying PCs and laptops and instead depend on their mobile devices (phones or tablets) for their common internet browsing needs. such home users may like cloud storage services.

For enterprises:
Organizations will classify their data as confidential, critial, non-critical/non-confidential. They will be fine with storing the third category of data on public cloud to save on hardware costs (lower capex) as utilizing cloud services will be classified as opex expenditure.
Critical and confidential data will still lie on private clouds.

Gamers: In 5-7 years I do see this going the cloud way too!!

sagarkolhe777

Right off the assembly line
Hi,
If data uploaded on cloud. Uploading service provider gives guarantee no one can search its actual location in cloud.
so guys it will safe for Individual & enterprises to keep them data on Cloud.

latino_ansari

Legendary Darknight
even if the bandwidth increases I will still keep my HDD... the main disadvantage is day if the net connectivity goes for a toss then u wont be able to access anythin...

According to be the best use of cloud storage will be for backup purpose....

Top Bottom