How I ****ed up!

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
It was not total disaster.

My PC got upgraded.
Fresh OS install after 2 yrs.
Few bookmarks were too sensitive to delete...they are gone now.
A chance of fresh start...
lol dude after so much trouble ....
still its good to c ur positive attitude.....
P.S : exactly for which people is that offer???

OP
rhitwick

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
i do fresh install only when changing cpu/mobo.my last xp install ran for ~5 years & after mobo died i am running same win 7 install for ~2 years now.btw what's the update on your office install.

Oh, updates...I thought my fight was interesting enough to tell.

Office downloaded and installed. Took too much time and retries but installed.

b/w, all hell was not end with fresh install.

I installed Win7 in HDD1 i.e. of 160GB, prior to that from boot menu partitioned my other HDD i.e. of 500GB in 4 drives. After OS install I find the biggest drive is not showing up in My Computer!!! I opened "Manage-->Disk Management" and voila! its there as NTFS, marked as D drive but not showing up in My Computer. It was marked as windows backup files, etc. I did not understand its importance and deleted it!

Rebooted system...system not booting. BOOTMGR missing!

I rebooted and tried to repair windows...it said windows not found! I reinstalled Windows. But this time deleted both drives i.e. I had one 160GB non-DOS partition and one 500GB non-DOS partition.

Installed Win7 in HDD1 i.e. 160GB drive. System boot...BOOTMGR missing! I was like WTF?!!! I just reinstalled it and did not even touch it. What went wrong? Checked BIOS to ensure I've HDD1 as preferred BOOT device...it was. I re-installed Win7 again :(
Reboot...same problem. BOOTMGR missing! I was really cursing myself now..why did I even bought MS Office 2013?!!! :'(

Reboot system, went to BIOS, changed preferred BOOT device to HDD2 i.e. 500GB disk. Reboot and......system boots. Why it boots when my OS is installed in another HDD?!!!! Because that god-damned a$$hole developers of MS did some trickery and now the OS stored 100 fcuking MB of boot related data in HDD2 which makes it the primary device to boot from!!!

Nonsense!!!

lol dude after so much trouble ....
still its good to c ur positive attitude.....
P.S : exactly for which people is that offer???

You know, Plato told...everyone gets a chance in their lifetime to be a philosopher, specially when their favourite vase gets broken.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
looks like you needed some practice with win 7 install since you just understood the importance of that 100mb system partition.in future use virtual machine to practice.:)

@gta0gagan,this offer is known as microsoft HUP(home use program).it is basically for employees of a company which use MS office & has also subscribed to HUP scheme.under this scheme employees are given MS office at dirt cheap rate(Rs.450 for India) so that they can work on company projects at home using office.to get this you must have an official company email address & program code for your company HUP.

Krow

Crowman
I actually tried that recently. Removed Office 2010 and installed LibreOffice. Then uninstalled again.
And, why use a low end software when I can get the best at such a cheap price.

It was not total disaster.

My PC got upgraded.
Fresh OS install after 2 yrs.
Few bookmarks were too sensitive to delete...they are gone now.
A chance of fresh start...

Erm... LibreOffice is not low-end software. I don't know about your usage, but I mostly use office suites for typing reviews. LibreOffice Writer is excellent for the purpose. My company uses OpenOffice, so I have no compatibility issues thankfully.

MS Office might be needed for advanced users, not sure. But most people I know use pirated MS Office for basic purposes. LibreOffice is more than capable of replacing MS Office for these users.

OP
rhitwick

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Erm... LibreOffice is not low-end software. I don't know about your usage, but I mostly use office suites for typing reviews. LibreOffice Writer is excellent for the purpose. My company uses OpenOffice, so I have no compatibility issues thankfully.

MS Office might be needed for advanced users, not sure. But most people I know use pirated MS Office for basic purposes. LibreOffice is more than capable of replacing MS Office for these users.

In my present company we are made to work on Ubuntu 12. I use LibreOffice there every day. I liked it at first and installed in my home PC. Trust me, its linux version is way way better than its windows version.

Krow

Crowman
In my present company we are made to work on Ubuntu 12. I use LibreOffice there every day. I liked it at first and installed in my home PC. Trust me, its linux version is way way better than its windows version.
I use both. Linux at home and Windows in office. In Linux, I haven't been able to change the dictionary. The spell check breaks when I use anything apart from US English. Other than that, love using LibreOffice in Linux. In Windows, I prefer it to MS Office because it does what I need efficiently.

^ Lucky guys working with OSS's in companies too.
Apparently, our firm switched after anti-piracy raids. ;)

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
I have the 2010 HUP edition and it's well worth the Rs.450 you spend on it. Of course, the licensing agreement explicitly tells you to get rid of the software once you leave the organization, so that may be a downer for some. :D

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
I worked on MS office for nearly 5 years in office and now I am using OpenOffice (my new company is sucha large org that they cut down the operational costs to earn more profits :()..

Believe me, its a crap compared to MS Office and its integrations.
Now i miss MS office features - Word/Excel/Outlook/Communicator the most.

hari1

In the zone
I fcuked up while installing MS Office 2013. Its fixed now.

:rofl:

Even I have faced such a trouble after installing OpenSuse on my computer. After trying a lot to get rid of some problems in it, I decided to delete. It was a dual boot with windows xp. I just deleted the linux partition and happily turned off the computer. Next day I was greeted with a boot error:p I forgot that linux had deleted the windows boot manager. I was a complete noob at that time and had no other computer to search on internet what to do. And finally used the Windows XP CD to repair the partition. Believe me my friends, you must install and uninstall atleast one linux os on your PC to be a geek:-D.

Also, you could just have used CCleaner to free up space on your C partition or moved some files from C drive to other drives.

Last edited:
I fcuked up while installing MS Office 2013. Its fixed now.
Dang mate. That wasn't a proper summary. :( thanks anyway.

anyway made some time to read it. Just wanna know one thing, do you actually use ms office ? I would always install it, but found that I never use it. For minor text stuff, word pad works just fine.

Last edited:
OP
rhitwick

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
you must install and uninstall atleast one linux os on your PC to be a geek:-D.
Did that in my college days. Almost all flavours.

Also, you could just have used CCleaner to free up space on your C partition or moved some files from C drive to other drives.
What do you think, with 900Mb free space what was keeping me alive. I had shifted my "Program files" folder to D drive already, "My Documents" folder, "My Pictures" and then I was left with 900MB.

Dang mate. That wasn't a proper summary. :( thanks anyway.

anyway made some time to read it. Just wanna know one thing, do you actually use ms office ? I would always install it, but found that I never use it. For minor text stuff, word pad works just fine.
I use it at home, specially Outlook. At times need to work on office documents at home. Then it comes handy. And I use Ms Excel very much at home.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Not trying to revive an old thread, but I thought it relevant to add here that I´ve prevailed over the M$ HUP program. Don´t ask me how, but I´ll say this much, that I had to modify the HardOCP method to access the purchase location. Best Rs. 450 of my life lol.

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
Not trying to revive an old thread, but I thought it relevant to add here that I´ve prevailed over the M$ HUP program. Don´t ask me how, but I´ll say this much, that I had to modify the HardOCP method to access the purchase location. Best Rs. 450 of my life lol.

hardOCP method???

Top Bottom