How do you delete a directory named "."?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhB

Jughead!!!
My pc has a small fat partition F:\ Now theres a directory inside this partition named "ab". This directory has got a subdirectory named "." . My problem is I can't delete this directory nor its parent. Is there any way to delete it either in linux or windows? Rmdir cmd doesn't work. I use WinXP pro and SUSE enterprise sp1.

bhushan2k

Genius in making mistakes
My pc has a small fat partition F:\ Now theres a directory inside this partition named "ab". This directory has got a subdirectory named "." . My problem is I can't delete this directory nor its parent. Is there any way to delete it either in linux or windows? Rmdir cmd doesn't work. I use WinXP pro and SUSE enterprise sp1.

first telme y r u using fat file system??

pillainp

Journeyman
Just curious.

How did you even create a folder named just "." in the first place? Vista will not allow me to do that, even if I type a space before and after: it just tells me "You must type a folder name!".

afonofa

Journeyman
first telme y r u using fat file system??
Atleast give some possible solution and then ask why :D

@PhB: Can't you boot into DOS and then delete the folder? Or rename that "." folder and then try deleting it. I'm curious too as to how you created that folder.

OP
PhB

PhB

Jughead!!!
I will just reformat the partition. I don't know whether that is really a folder.
The ls cmd shows
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 16384 2007-04-28 19:34 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 16384 2007-04-28 19:34 .
drwxr-xr-x 3d4 root root 16384 2007-08-31 17:31 ..
Anyway use ascii charas 160 or 255 to name a folder to just a dot.

OP
PhB

PhB

Jughead!!!
Well I know . is the current dir and .. is the top level dir. But normally in an empty dir there are only two entries. Here its three.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
lol... you just come to know that ?? :O

No :D I was just telling PhB that :)

@PhB
They must both point to the current directory only, since the creation time for both is the same. Is that a hardlink by any chance?

OP
PhB

PhB

Jughead!!!
No. That was not a hardlink and now I have reformatted the partition. Like I said it was a small one, created for playing around. Its use was over anyway so I merged it with an NTFS partition.
May the F:\ drive rest in peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom