How can the badsectors get removed from harddisk

Status
Not open for further replies.

navneeth_snr

Journeyman
How can the badsectors get removed from harddisk? I have one 4.3 GB harddisk which contains some badsector. So Is there any software to remove the badsectors :shock:

cooljeba

The Photoshop Guy
Bad sectors can't be removed......
try nortorn disk doctor can hide up the bad sectors from the OS.

..:: peace ::..
Jeba

techno_funky

da' Ťurntable ruleth
yaa as jeba said they cant be removed

A portion of a disk that cannot be used because it is flawed. When you format a disk, the operating system identifies any bad sectors on the disk and marks them so they will not be used. If a sector that already contains data becomes damaged, you will need special software to recover the data.

It’s not unusual for a hard disk to leave the manufacturing process with a damaged sector; however, this does not affect the overall performance of the disk as the damaged space is considered unusable.

so all i can say use the HDD as long as it lives
but back up often rather daily

sniper

Broken In
Now this is a very crude method of dealing with the problem. remember one thing - the more u ask ur HD to read bad sectors and attempt to write or recover, the more chances are that ur HD will crash. SO when u find that some files are curropt dont delete them. let them be there. atleast now u have marked the sectors which are screwed.

and if it eventually crashes...u can try inverting it and tapping it lightly with a screwdriver...temporarily rejuvenates HD in many cases, but thats it. beyond this point, no options.

[deXter]

Journeyman
Eh? What are all you guys talking about ? Bad sectors CAN be removed, provided that the bad sector was caused due to logical errors and not physical damage.

Spinrite can locate and remove such logical bad sectors (caused by filesystem errors or due to flux domain neutralization), and if there are physical bad sectors, it can attempt to recover data from the bad sector and relocate the data. Plus it can also find weak areas that might fail in the future, and it also refreshes the magnetic media so that the data lasts longer.

I suggest you give SpinRite a try. The latest version is 6, which can work on any filesystem including NTFS and RAID.

*img62.photobucket.com/albums/v189/dextersgenius/signature1.gif

cooljeba

The Photoshop Guy
dexy we were talking abt the physical bad sectors.... and logical bad sectors will be easily removed by NDD.

..:: peace ::..
Jeba

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
the guy doesnt mention anything about the cause for bad sectors. So just writing him off for bad sectors assuming it to be physical badsectors is not right. Also NDD isnt nearly as effective as spinrite and NDD doesnt attempt to relocate data from physical badsectors like spinrite does mate

Kamaleshwaran

Right off the assembly line
Use the s/w Norton Disk Doctor, it will help you to remove / it will make the bad sector unused...

navneeth_snr said:
How can the badsectors get removed from harddisk? I have one 4.3 GB harddisk which contains some badsector. So Is there any software to remove the badsectors :shock:

OP
navneeth_snr

navneeth_snr

Journeyman
Thanks dexter, I insalled and made a surface scan from SpinRite yesterday. Oh my god, the hdisk had almost 75-90 MB of Bad sectors and all are fixed and now only 1 is there (ie 8 KB). Hats of to the SpinRite people. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom