How 2 [flAsh] GFX card's BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

[flAsh]

In the zone
HI recently, I came 2 know that X800pro can be converted into X800XT by a BIOS upgrade. The same was heard 4 FX5900/5900XT 2 b converted 2 FX5900Ultra.
Will u plz go in detail about what actually can happen by a Video Bios upgrade. I mean 2 say the performance increase and how 2 do it 4 different brands ie ATi, nVidia. AND PLZ ALSO MENTION THE PRECAUTIONS 2 B TAKEN.

Sourabh

Laptoping
[A RIP OFF FROM DRIVER HEAVEN CANT FIND THE LINK NOW HAD SVED THIS LINK SINCE I HAVE A 9800 PRo]

Bios files and flash utility.

The archive contains 6 of the main stream bios files organized and maintained up to now by 3Dmaxx which is now known as theory3d.

Also found in the archive is the FLASHROM.EXE utility used only in DOS mode to flash your card.

And for those of you running windowsXP/2k/2003 and already forgot what DOS is there is a self creating boot disk utility.

A few things to remember before attempting to flash your R9800SE/NP/Pro card:

1. Install OMEGA drivers www.omegacorner.com using the 3rd softmod option SE?np/pro/XT option then check Rivatunner and make sure that all 8 pipe lines are up and running, then run 3Dmark03 and AquaMark03 for about 3 hours to ensure the card works with all 8 pipe lines with no artifacts/black lines/shadows – or any other problems. You can also use ATI TOOL available on DH to test for artifacts along with OMEGA driver's Artifact tester 5.

2. The aim is to overClock your card to XT stock speeds – 412/732Mhz is our final goal, but you should do this slowly in increments of 5mhz on each core and ram then running nature test in 3dmark03 and checking for artifacts or "glitching", this might sound like a long process but when overclocking to these final levels it is better being a little safe than sorry - if any problems occur we can backtrack to a safer level. If you reach the final goal of 412/732mhz congratulations! I strongly suggest upgrading your cooling for the core and memory chips and always ensure you have adequate case cooling with plenty of cool air flowing over your video card.

3. Now – if you feel confident enough to go ahead and flash the card you have to make a few preparations first, get a PCI card in case the flash goes bad and the card doesn't come up after reboot. Make sure to backup your original bios file and make a few copies of it, so we can backtrack in case of any problems. This is IMPORTANT.

FLASHROM.EXE –S 0 BACKUP.ROM
do the flash - FLASHROM.EXE –P 0 –F XTBIOSFILE.ROM/BIN and then reboot CTRL+ALT+DEL.
Windows should now recognize your card as a 9800XT.

DOWNLAOD LINK : *www.driverheaven.net/downloads/9800XT128MBRAMBIOS.zip

OVERCLOCKING AND MODDING THE BIOS IS NOT RECOMMENDED. IT CAN LEAD TO DEATH OF UR CARD N SYSTEM AS A WHOLE SO DO IT AT OWN RISK :wink:

OP
F

[flAsh]

In the zone
What about nVidia Cards??? Do i need 2 follow the same steps. Can upgrading my core & memory cooler extend the level of overclock. If yes recommend me one 4 Radeon 9800 pro & FX 5700LE.

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
[flAsh said:
]What about nVidia Cards??? Do i need 2 follow the same steps. Can upgrading my core & memory cooler extend the level of overclock. If yes recommend me one 4 Radeon 9800 pro & FX 5700LE.
What Nvidia card do u want to MOD ? Getting a AGP cooler/silencer can decrease the temperatures enabling you to overclock further. But sometimes things like slow memory and other parameters can limit the performance on ur overclock.

OP
F

[flAsh]

In the zone
I wanna overclock my old PC's Geforce FX 5700LE. it is made by XFX and 256mb memory onboard. Will hav to check the default V-ram timings by looking the agp card in the case and will post later.
Reccomend me a good Gpu and V-ram cooler which wud decrease the temperature significantly. there's no temperature diode on the card, is there any way to know the temperature or I will hav 2 stick a alcohol thermometer.(room thermometer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom