Hos to share data beween PCs through router

Hi. Many of my friends ask how to do it and how to play LAN games over router, but I not having any experience, am not able to set up. So please mention the steps or procedure on how to set this up and what are the requirements.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i don't play games but as far as networking is concerned just set an IP pool in DHCP settings of router & enable get IP automatically option in windows network sharing center--lan connection properties(or adapter settings---lan properties).it is however enabled by default so unless someone change it everything should work simply by connecting PCs to router & setting up a game server in one PC to which other PCs in lan will connect to play.

flyingcow

Shibe
Hi. Many of my friends ask how to do it and how to play LAN games over router, but I not having any experience, am not able to set up. So please mention the steps or procedure on how to set this up and what are the requirements.

This method worked for me in CS 1.6 (1PC and 1 Laptop, with BSNL provided modem)

Just plug in the laptop with a LAN cable to router, and plug in PC to the same router via lan cable, done...as simple as that, then open your game(cs in my case) and play, no need to do anything differently, and im pretty sure you knwo how to open play via lan In game settings n stuff

Hrishi

If your intention is to play games on PCs located in the same Local Area network and all devices are separated by just one single Router/layer 3 Device then all you have to do is to run a local DHCP server ( usually your Router ) , and set all systems to acquire IP address settings automatically. (like WhiteStar suggested )
The DHCP server will act as a central authority and will provide an IP configuration to anyone asking for it.
Also ensure that the ports your games require are not blocked on your router/machines. ( By default , it is not )

Now , if you want to play it over Routers , i.e. WAN , then you'll probably need certain softwares like "hamachi" or tungle.

In case if you want to configure manually and not through DHCP/router then just configure this in Network Adapter->Ipv4 settings in each of the hosts.

IP range : 192.168.172.1 - 192.168.172.254 or 172.16.0.1-172.31.255.254 or 10.0.0.1-10.255.255.254 ( assign host/machine a separate IP )
Gateway : Not required in case if you don't have a Router/gateway device for internet.
Subnet mask : 255.255.255.0 or 255.255.0.0 or 255.0.0.0 respectively.

This method worked for me in CS 1.6 (1PC and 1 Laptop, with BSNL provided modem)

Just plug in the laptop with a LAN cable to router, and plug in PC to the same router via lan cable, done...as simple as that, then open your game(cs in my case) and play, no need to do anything differently, and im pretty sure you knwo how to open play via lan In game settings n stuff

Usually it's as simple as that , but in certain cases where the machine is assigned a static IP , then you may need to configure either all the machines with Static Ip settings or else , enable DHCP service on router and set each host to acquire IP through DHCP service.

Mr.Kickass

In the zone
Re: How to share data beween PCs through router

I used to play CS 1.6, AOE, Dota over WLAN by first setting up a link then joining like you always do. Besides, I also transferred huge movie files over the network when I was staying in hostel and it was very convenient.

Setting up a connection is quite easy. Assuming you have a network card installed on your PC you can follow these steps and should you run into problems, just use an app(but there is no need to)

Note: This is for Windows 7. Doesn't apply to Windows 8

Edit: [Tutorial] How To Create Wireless Ad Hoc Internet Connection In Windows 8

Last edited:

Hrishi

The simplest layman solution is to download an application named "Connectify" and run it on any one of your device with WiFi. Just connect to it , and game up.

OP
harshilsharma63

harshilsharma63

DIY FTW!
SO I can just connect all the systems to the router through WI-Fi, then create a homegroup one one of the PC and make all other PCs join the homegroup?

Top Bottom