Home Network Data Management

anshulkwatra

Right off the assembly line
Friends,

Need help and advise.

I have a old desktop at home and do plan to buy a laptop soon enough. My challenge is as under:

Over the last ten years I have collected hugh amount of data including information, photographs and crap. To help manage over a period of time have bought some external hard disks (1x1TB, 2x500MB, 1x 320MB).

I need the data to be backed up and available across the home, with regular backups happening. Recounting the requirements
1. Data backup of all data available
2. Incremental backup of data as generated
3. Availability of data on a network so that any authenticated computer can access data and also save the data
4. 24x7 availability and securing the data so that it is recoverable in case of any hardware failure

Available resources:
1. USB external hard drives: 1x1TB (externally powered - Seagate), 2x500MB (USB powered - Toshiba and Iomega) and 1x320MB - using it as a media storage for movies
2. Software available with the hard disks: Seagate FreeAgent, vClone, Roxio Retrospect, Iomega QuikProtect
3. Budget: maybe upto Rs4,000

I am looking forward to a more complete in solution, for e.g., xx hardware (if required) with yy software to do a backup and incremental backup including how to probably set it up.

Please advise
Thanks and Regards
Anshul Kwatra

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
This comes under Network Attached Storage. I believe that you may need to raise the budget a bit to do something like this.

Top Bottom