Hissing Noise In Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTerribleTwist

Right off the assembly line
I am operating a computer with Ubuntu 7.04 and whenever there is no sound playing over the speakers, they hiss. I know the speakers are not at fault because I also run Windows XP on the same computer and they never hiss there.

Does anyone know why it might be hissing so much? The hissing does go away if I turn the volume down from the speaker, but even with the volume turned all the way up from the software, it is still VERY quiet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
I suppose that 'Line in' or 'CD' or the like sources are also enabled as output.. Try unchecking them from the sound mixer.......

eddie

El mooooo
Then it should be your mic. Either you mic is connected to your system with mic volumes turned all the way up or your jack is some how receiving static. Check in your volume levels and mute the mic.

mediator

Technomancer
What I have noticed is that the hissing noise is there if u increase the PCM level or enable the line in or the MICROPHONE. Its irrelevant if its linux or Xp cause its there in both of them.

So try exploring the sound options and check if mic is enabled!

OP
T

TheTerribleTwist

I guess what was causing the idle hissing was "AC97" so I turned that all the way down. But I still get some hissing that shows up whenever sound is playing.

mediator

Technomancer
But I still get some hissing that shows up whenever sound is playing
That means the hissing isn't there when u aren't listening to any music!!?? Then its the sound controls, not the I/P. Try adjusting the sound i.e PCM, master etc.
Also u may make surround Jack mode => shared. I forgot wat its for, but I made it like that in my profile long time back.

OP
T

TheTerribleTwist

mediator said:
Also u may make surround Jack mode => shared. I forgot wat its for, but I made it like that in my profile long time back.

I don't know how to find that. It isn't in the basic sound settings.

mediator

Technomancer
Just explore or post it in ubuntuforums.org. Actually that shared thing is in fedora. I'm sorry for that! I'll tell again wheneva I will have access to ubuntu.

praka123

left this forum longback
First of All,all those options mic,LFE,surround etc are not visible by default.open gnome volume control ..>Edit tab>Preferences>tick those wanted.now see the options in main window.u should disable mic options.try playing with other options too to get desired sound quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom