high end phone advice needed.

One of my family members is going to buy a new phone.
Budget is no problem suggestions for android only.
User is a samsung fanboy, so if you are suggesting anything other than samsung the UI and systems should be like samsung.

if he ends up buying the gs4, ill post some pics ;)

possible phones : HTC one. gs4 . anything else you can suggest.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
HTC One is the phone to buy. It may not have SD card expansion but the superior build quality than the GS4 makes it a better phone any day.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
HTC One is the phone to buy. It may not have SD card expansion but the superior build quality than the GS4 makes it a better phone any day.

i have given the suggestion for htc one, but he may end up buying the gs4. Eitherways, you guys get exclusive pics and maybe a review.

SGS4....... HTC One has great build quality but on the software front, S4 beats One. Don't forget the camera of HTC. Acc. to GSMArena, its not upto the level of current gen flagship phones.

The so called "Smart" features like smart stay ...etc are good. Smart stay works fine in my S2. It would have been more optimized in S4.
Once upon a time, my fav UI was Sense UI. But now its Touchwiz UX UI.

If u say these are gimmicks, then ultrapixel & Blinkfeed are also gimmicks. Blinkfeed seems to be a copied version of WP8 UI.

bhushan2k

Genius in making mistakes
SGS4....... HTC One has great build quality but on the software front, S4 beats One. Don't forget the camera of HTC. Acc. to GSMArena, its not upto the level of current gen flagship phones.

The so called "Smart" features like smart stay ...etc are good. Smart stay works fine in my S2. It would have been more optimized in S4.
Once upon a time, my fav UI was Sense UI. But now its Touchwiz UX UI.

If u say these are gimmicks, then ultrapixel & Blinkfeed are also gimmicks. Blinkfeed seems to be a copied version of WP8 UI.

Some facts about htc one:

Blinkfeed = flipboard app
Ultrapixel camera = 808 pureview technology
Aluminium unibody = same as xperia p

darkv0id

Journeyman
Some facts about htc one:

Blinkfeed = flipboard app
Ultrapixel camera = 808 pureview technology
Aluminium unibody = same as xperia p

Your point being? That the HTC One takes the best features and puts them all in one sleek package?

Ultrapixel and Pureview may give similar image quality, but the technology used is nowhere near comparable :|

randomuser111

Technomancer
Your point being? That the HTC One takes the best features and puts them all in one sleek package?

Ultrapixel and Pureview may give similar image quality, but the technology used is nowhere near comparable :|

LOL. Are you kiddin me???????? Ultrapixel is CRAP compared to Pureview. You can't compare Ultrapixel with 808 pureview. Have you even seen 808 pureview camera samples ?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
"anupam_pm" said:
HTC One has great build quality but on the software front, S4 beats One. Don't forget the camera of HTC. Acc. to GSMArena, its not upto the level of current gen flagship phones.
AnandTech | Samsung Galaxy S 4 Review - Part 1

*images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph6914/54294.png

Interestingly enough, fill rate is actually lower than on the HTC One. With so many variables at work here it's difficult to say exactly why this is, but the lowest hanging fruit is to blame it on memory bandwidth differences. Without getting inside the Galaxy S 4 (or more extensive poking around) it's unclear what speed Samsung is running its memory at, which could explain the differences here. We tried tossing the Galaxy S 4 in the freezer and re-running the test but performance didn't improve substantially

And

5 Reasons Why the HTC One is a Better Bet Than the Galaxy S4 - AndroidPIT

Honestly, How Many of Those Galaxy S4 Features Are You Actually Going to Use?

Gesture and eye control? They look amazing in Samsung's promo videos, but preliminary reviewers have said that these features work sporadically at best, sometimes not even registering when a user's eyes have turned away from the screen. When it comes to multitasking, the Galaxy S4 looks to be better equipped, but we'll have to wait and see what Android 5.0 / Key Lime Pie brings to the mix before we make any snap judgements. The truth is that, no matter what new phone you buy, you can mod it anyway you like. If you go with Touchwiz, you're definitely going to be modding anyway.

Few more reasons in the link above :wink:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
lets not turn this thread into a "why we hate Samsung thread". S4 (indian version) packs best hardware but dated design. Anyone who doesn't have problem with the looks, go with S4. simply don't use the random features that Samsung added. but the pricing is still on the higher side.

and i bet even with all these comments saying HTC one is better, his friend will go for S4 ;)

darkv0id

Journeyman
LOL. Are you kiddin me???????? Ultrapixel is CRAP compared to Pureview. You can't compare Ultrapixel with 808 pureview. Have you even seen 808 pureview camera samples ?

Yup. I've seen them.

I agree, the PureView pics do look better to me as well. Read the whole thing though. It's hard to say that PureView is overwhelmingly better; or if UltraPixel, as you phrased it is "crap".

randomuser111

Technomancer
Yup. I've seen them.

I agree, the PureView pics do look better to me as well. Read the whole thing though. It's hard to say that PureView is overwhelmingly better; or if UltraPixel, as you phrased it is "crap".

I meant "REAL" Pureview not Lumia 920.

darkv0id

Journeyman
I meant "REAL" Pureview not Lumia 920.

In that case I agree, the 808 outclasses both HTC One and Lumia 920 in terms of image quality.

Still, my initial point stands, I didn't mean to say that HTC Once has the "best" camera, just that it is overall the best phone.

Champ

.NET Guru
@everyone a decently clocked dual core processor and 1 GB ram in more than enough to smoothly run android and most of the apps in day to day use.
One should not based his buying decisions on things that wont be used even 5% of phone usage time.

Now if any company really putting hard efforts in innovation atm its HTC, From designing hardware to customizing software they really want end user to have best experience.

Samsung always boasts about loads of features in galaxy line of devices, Let me give you one simple example

In S3 sammy introduced a feature called smart stay, So screen will stay on if you are looking at the same.
This feature rely on front facing camera to track user's eyes and it hardly works in low lighting environment, in well lit conditions chances are like 50-50.

On the other hand in HTC one you can set screen time out to auto sleep, so screen will aromatically sleep when phone is not being used.
This feature use phone accelerometer to determine phone usage, and it works every time.

Small things like ability to customize phone from PC, HTC transfer tool feels good, its not like thing cant be achieved without these, but they just make life a little bit easier.

Being s/w architect my self it not very hard to guess that when features are part of initial roadmap and carefully included in framework and whey they are just patches to satisfy marketing bosses.

PS : I have used Galaxy Series for about 2.6 years (s1->s2->s3) and HTC one for 15 days

Last edited:
Top Bottom