Here’s a Mac FAQ if You’re Looking to Buy a Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Here’s a Mac FAQ if You’re Looking to Buy a Computer

November 15, 2007
by Walter S. Mossberg

When I write my computer buyers’ guides, I typically focus on Windows computers, not the Apple Macintosh. That’s because I assumed that buying a Mac required little guidance: It’s sold by only one company and comes in only a few models.

But in recent weeks, I’ve been bombarded by reader emails asking for Mac-buying advice. So, here’s a quick guide — a sort of Mac FAQ — to shopping for a Macintosh. As with my Windows guides, this is aimed at average, mainstream users doing typical tasks, not techies or businesses or hobbyists.

Q. Who should consider a Mac?

A.
Pretty much every average consumer using a computer should at least look at the Mac. It combines gorgeous hardware with an operating system I consider superior to Windows, with better built-in software. It can even run Windows programs if you buy and install a copy of Windows. And unless you do that, you won’t be vulnerable to the vast array of viruses and spyware that threaten Windows users. Only a handful, so far, have been written to run on the Mac operating system, OS X. Read more...

[Via AllThingsD]

I highly recommend this article. Just give it a read. Might give you guys a little perspective. :)

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
Walt said:
Q. How are Macs at Web surfing?

A. Fine. Apple’s built-in Safari browser is very good and the Mac version of Firefox is essentially identical to the Windows version. However, Macs lack an up-to-date version of Microsoft’s Internet Explorer, so you will have to install Windows if you need IE.
What was he thinking ?

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
@aryayush What is the cheapest Mac ? Minimum Rs. 30k. So some average joe who may just want to do some office works, watch some movies and also net surfing have to shell out those damn extra 15k (at least). For what ? Some cool tiffin box (Mac Mini). :D :mad: :mad:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
debsuvra said:
....have to shell out those damn extra 15k (at least). For what ? Some cool tiffin box (Mac Mini). :D :mad: :mad:
Exactly! As miniaturization takes place in the field of electronics, the cost increases.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
debsuvra said:
@aryayush What is the cheapest Mac ? Minimum Rs. 30k. So some average joe who may just want to do some office works, watch some movies and also net surfing have to shell out those damn extra 15k (at least). For what ? Some cool tiffin box (Mac Mini). :D :mad: :mad:
This is exactly why I advise people to actually read before posting a comment:. This is a quote from the aforementioned article:
People looking for the lowest-price PCs should also avoid the Mac
Apple does not cater to the kind of person you just described. It is their choice. :)

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
debsuvra said:

I'm NO pro MAC or anything but if you think owning a MAC is costlier than owning a PC of a similar config, then I'm afraid that you or anyone who thinks so is absolutely oblivious to the price of genuine windows softwares. Well, for a config of a MAC that costs 50K, you are going to pay approx 45-60K for a PC with the similar config with all equivalent software bundled with the MAC for that price.;)

Com'on, am I the only one who thinks so, someone help me here if I'm wrong. :)

Anyone thinking of a budget PC has to go for Open Source alternatives as for an average beginner, its always better to get a MAC than a PC with all the bling bling you intend to spend on the Microsoft royalty softwares.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Re: Here’s a Mac FAQ if You’re Looking to Buy a Computer

DARK LORD said:
What was he thinking ?
MS did release IE for mac.. but stoped development for mac in 2003

In June 2003, the Microsoft Macintosh Business Unit announced that Internet Explorer for Mac would undergo no further development, and support would cease in 2005. In accordance with published support lifecycle policies, Microsoft ended support for Internet Explorer for Mac on December 31st, 2005, and is not providing any further security or performance updates.

Accordingly, as of January 31st, 2006, Internet Explorer for the Mac is no longer available for download from Microsoft. It is recommended that Macintosh users migrate to more recent web browsing technologies such as Apple's Safari.
Last Updated: October 25, 2006

link

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Cyrus_the_virus said:
I'm NO pro MAC or anything but if you think owning a MAC is costlier than owning a PC of a similar config, then I'm afraid that you or anyone who thinks so is absolutely oblivious to the price of genuine windows softwares. Well, for a config of a MAC that costs 50K, you are going to pay approx 45-60K for a PC with the similar config with all equivalent software bundled with the MAC for that price.

U can also buy OEM Windows & use various free softwares (both OSS & non-OSS) on Windows to do your work which reduces the cost.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
apple is only for the posh and who can afford it time wise and money wise
others should shut up instead of saying its costly.. that's it
also they are soo gorgeous and hyped ...!

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
Yeah yeah u r all truely right. Apple is a elite computer umm.. ok electronic gadget making company for the riches. They are not going to look at average joes. Because those poor peoples are out of their league. So as always said and done poor will be poor and rich will ....... :(

But in return, when u r composing or creating something in either a MAC or a PC, what do u get in results? I mean which is superior in terms of productivity and stuffs? Those beauty freaks in cupertino will surely woo someone with great videos and pics, but are they productive as much?

That's why when the pay date comes, the Windows guys get the lions share. But not to worry for the Mac users, they can surely show their pretty iMovie videos to their landlord instead of paying rents. :D

Check this for instance :
*www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrpS9m2VF1c

goobimama

 Macboy
IE is needed for thorough testing of web pages. So yeah, I have installed Parallels+WinXP only for IE....

@Gigacore: Safari on mac, is DEFiNITELY not equal to Safari on Windows...

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I don't think there is something which can be done on Mac that cannot be done on a Windows machine or vice versa. But Pro video editors, studios etc. use Mac for a specific reason: STABILITY.

Since the hardware and software is tightly integrated they don't hafta worry about installing drivers resolving IRQ conflicts, dealing with Malware etc. What matters to them is time. Time is money. So they wouldn't wanna waste their time on this. Other than that I feel there is no difference in anything else (Adobe products are available for both platforms and are worthy comptt. to Mac only software).

However, one disadvantage is that upgradation options are limited and costly. So these "specific" users don't upgrade. They use Macs for quite some years and when the cost is recovered they replace them.

Not that Windows is bad or something but just that they don't wanna be bothered with the above mentioned issues.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
You guys are missing the point. That is not a pro-Mac article. It is just there to serve as an answer to several common questions and misconceptions about Macs and it is very well written by a competent author. That is why I posted it here.

The intent was not to start another argument. :)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
aryayush said:
You guys are missing the point. That is not a pro-Mac article. It is just there to serve as an answer to several common questions and misconceptions about Macs and it is very well written by a competent author. That is why I posted it here.

The intent was not to start another argument
how about posting it in the correct forum then :rolleyes: .... what part of this post is tech news :confused:

this can be moved into the QnA section as it is QnA ;)

PS: i hope the forums were peaceful and the Mac Boys enjoyed their diwali on the forums ..... times up and im back :twisted:

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, it was a mistake. I'm so used to posting in the 'Technology News' section that I did it almost subconsciously. Sorry! :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom