Here’s a Mac FAQ if You’re Looking to Buy a Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
How can a senior member post threads subconsciously in a wrong forum? :rolleyes:

@ goobi.. Alright!.. Safari Rocks!... Happy ?

@ iMav... Welcome BACK!!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
infra_red_dude said:
Since the hardware and software is tightly integrated they don't hafta worry about installing drivers resolving IRQ conflicts, dealing with Malware etc.

Windows Vista on any OEM PC with WHQL drivers & Windows Defender integrated....not that hard to get a stable Windows PC these days.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
indranilmaulik said:
what can Mac do but window cant ?? no cheap not so necessary animation features, ok.
On the nutshell, well you're correct. But you got to use OS X and see. You can do almost all the things that in Windows, but you can't get the awesome softwares. No wonder, Freelancers love Mac.

goobimama said:
IE is needed for thorough testing of web pages. So yeah, I have installed Parallels+WinXP only for IE....
Dude! IE sucks.

I tried to "uninstall" in my Windows PC, but you're running it in a Mac? :p Try FX + IE add-on. Ohh.. or we need Windows for that add-on to work?

Moved to QnA.

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
Well, everyone knows IE sucks. A few :)rolleyes: ) even agree that IE sucks.

But there are a LOT of people out there still using IE. Some refer to it as the "Internet Software". Some often think that the internet works thru that and I know a few uncles who go "Woh desktop pe "e" click karke internet chalu kar..."

Anyhow, as a developer/coder, you _need_ to test your site in all the browsers. Hence goobi / me / others need to have it.

For that addon, you need to have IE anyway.

goobimama

 Macboy
I don't use IE, but since IE sucks at page rendering + most people use IE, I have to test out the pages on IE cause most probably they are going to show borked even though FF/Opera/Safari show them perfectly.

FF+IE addon needs the IE engine. So yeah, I have to install XP via parallels.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
DARK LORD -
What you do? Any specific reason why you got a Mac?

goobimama -
If I don't want to have Windows installed, but I want to browse some "IE specific" sites like Dataone, then what options I got?

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
Well, I do a lot of things actually.

I'm a...
1. Webmaster ( I make sites. For myself and others )
2. Webhost ( I have a web-hosting business )
3. Blogger ( Not just mine, I co author others )
4. Content Manager ( I currently manage 3 big sites and a few small ones )
5. Internet Analyst ( Well, kinda. This doesn't pay, but I give feedback to new startups )
6. Freelance creative mind ( I'm not sure how I should put this, but I contribute stuff to various sites, like burrp.com / watblog.com / watshow.com )
7. I'm the g33k for the people I know ( Friends / college / family ). I wanted to be the uber cool guy with a Mac :D
That's about it I think.

Ohh, and I was really tired of all the viruses on Windows.

goobimama

 Macboy
Have you used IE through Parallels? (I know you haven't) It's almost like Windows is not installed. And anyway, you can get it installed through Crossover as well. I just haven't ever used crossover yet so I can't comment on that.

*particletree.com/notebook/getting-ie-6-on-your-mac/

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
goobimama said:
I don't use IE, but since IE sucks at page rendering + most people use IE, I have to test out the pages on IE cause most probably they are going to show borked even though FF/Opera/Safari show them perfectly.

FF+IE addon needs the IE engine. So yeah, I have to install XP via parallels.
@goobimamu: really? :? i dont think for website testing on IE u need to install windows xp on parallel!use ies4osx (for linux users ies4linux is already there!)
*www.kronenberg.org/ies4osx/

goobimama

 Macboy
Wohoo! Thanks a lot for that. Will check it out and see if it works well enough...

But also, I'm guessing Crossover might even be a more viable solution than my parallels setup....

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
drgrudge said:
goobimama -
If I don't want to have Windows installed, but I want to browse some "IE specific" sites like Dataone, then what options I got?
Mind if I answer this one? :p

Use Opera. I have it on my Mac for the occasional IE only website (they are few and far between these days). Works perfectly in most cases. Of course, I make it a point not to visit any website if it is IE only.

The DataOne portal is no longer IE-only, by the way. Works perfectly in Safari. :)

@goobimama,
Use CrossOver, dude. I'm assuming you already use it for µTorrent. Just install IE 6.0 through it. The whole process is automated. It even downloads it for you. Give it a try. :)

goobimama

 Macboy
Goobimama? You? Calling me goobimama? I thought you despised that name. Anyway, I have yet to even install crossover on my mac. Never used it before. I don't download on my Mac, and for the occasional download, i use Transmission which is plenty enough for me.

goobimama

 Macboy
I'll explain things in an email or something...

As for torrenting on Macs, I find Transmission to be more than capable for my needs. Will install utorrent whenever I do get some decent internet at home, I might consider something else (if I have to)

preshit.net

ex3n1us m4x1mus
I need to have access to IE to reboot my router, apart from the website testing.

My router doesn't reboot in other browsers :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom