Help! ZoneAlarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

sourav

In the zone
whenever i start zone alarm i cannot connect through network to internet.

I have installed zone alarm in the desktop. This connects directly to internet.

My laptop connects to internet through this. i am not able to connect to net through this

almighty

Ambassador of Buzz
:confused: :confused: :confused:
didnt get u?

U ve one lappy and one desktop? ryte
U installed za on desktop? ryte
and u want connect with desktop using za???

u need to put ur lappy in internet zone not in trusted zone
i think u add ur lappy in trusted zone
check it

almighty

Ambassador of Buzz
go to firewall>main>intenet security zone>custom>Internet zone (tab) and select all
this ll work
try it

Last edited:

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
yep click on the firewall tab of your Zonealarm and add the IP address of the Modem/router, Desktop,and the laptop to the trusted zone.That is what I have done and I am able to share files.

Ecko

Wandering In Tecno Land
sourav said:
YUP
IF I ADD IT IN INTERNET ZONE THEN I AM NOT ABLE TO SHARE FILES

sorry
for uppercase

That's Right internet Zone means no sharing
Put your lap in Trusted & internet conn in internet
Now you'll share as well as block intrusions

OP
sourav

sourav

In the zone
help me

when i shutdown zone Alrm i am able to do everything

and i don't want o uninstall zonealarm

and when zone alarm is running at that time my lappy is not able to get net.

i tried with trusted zone and internet zone.

after shutting down zone alarm it works

Last edited:

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
For my wireless network I have not added any IP address in Internet properties of the Desktop but only in the Zonealarm firewall.

Ecko

Wandering In Tecno Land
sourav said:
help me

when i shutdown zone Alrm i am able to do everything

and i don't want o uninstall zonealarm

and when zone alarm is running at that time my lappy is not able to get net.

i tried with trusted zone and internet zone.

after shutting down zone alarm it works

Zone alarm will ask for the zone of connection as soon as you connect the Laptop with desktop & also when u connect desk with net
Just make lap as trusted & reduce the trusted zone setting to least
Make Int. to inernet zone & make setting to max

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
have u allowed basic services to access the Net?

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services(svchost.exe)
Userinit
Firefox/IEx

<>
Is there a lock sign at the taskbar?

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
Sourav has reported that by disabling the Zonealarm, he is able to do everything. So it is quite clear Zonealarm is blocking. To resolve the problem he should add the ip address of the modem/router, desktop and laptop in the trusted zone of the Zonealarm firewall, most probably 198.162.1.1, 198.162.1.2 and 198.162.1.3 and try.(it can be 192.168.0.X, depends on the modem/router)

OP
sourav

sourav

In the zone
Ponmayilal said:
Sourav has reported that by disabling the Zonealarm, he is able to do everything. So it is quite clear Zonealarm is blocking. To resolve the problem he should add the ip address of the modem/router, desktop and laptop in the trusted zone of the Zonealarm firewall, most probably 198.162.1.1, 198.162.1.2 and 198.162.1.3 and try.(it can be 192.168.0.X, depends on the modem/router)

my laptop's ip address depends upon dhcp or it is automatically assigned

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
Good that you are listening. :) I presume that you have in the Internet protocol (TCP/IP) properties of your Local Area connection in the Desktop, have ordered it to obtain the IP addresses automatically. In that case you would have turned the DHCP server functionality in your modem/router on.You can in the LAN settings of your modem restrict the DHCP server to assign IP addresses upto 192.168.1.3 instead of any upto 192.168.0.253. That way your Desktop and Laptop won't get anything other than 192.168.1.2/3.So include from 1 to 3 in your Zonealarm's trusted IP addresses.Zone alarm>firewall>zone>add.
Instead of adding individulal IP addresses you can also add them in the range say 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.3. That is all to it.

If you do not want to enter into your modem and change the settings simply add the range 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.253 to the Zonealarm's trusted zone.I will however not recommend this for security reasons.

In my wireless network, I have further linked the MAC address of each PC to the IP address that can be assigned to it by the modem/router/ access point. That way my desktop always gets 192.168.0.2, my Vista Lappy 192.168.0.3 and my Mediacenter PC 192.168.0.4.This apart from the WPA2 security.So no outsider even within the wireless range can draw juice from my internet connection/PCs. As in your case my Desktop (XP) is the main PC directly connected to the modem/router and protected by Zonealarm. And make sure to disable the windows firewall. Hope I have made things clear to you. Good luck.

OP
sourav

sourav

In the zone
my desktop is assigned 192.168.0.1, it directly connects to internet, and my laptop to it through LAN but remember it is a two computer connection only, so there is no router. my laptop is assigned buy DHCP for its address

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
I am afraid that you are using ICS (Internet connection sharing) of the bygone days.Most modems though not a router in the conventional sense, have built in router functions such as DHCP server and this may be conflicting with your ICS setup.If your Host Desktop computer takes on as the gateway with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and assigns the IP address to your lappy (In this case your host computer acts as the DHCP server) you must surely disable your modem acting as the DHCP server etc.Access your modem page and turn off the DHCP server in its LAN setup and then check.Make sure that your modem's IP address itself is not 192.168.0.1. If it is change it to 192.168.1.1.In your TCP/IP properties page of Local Area Connection of your host Desktop computer make sure you give the IP address as 192.168.0.1, subnetmask 255.255.255.0 and gateway address as 192.168.1.1.Add 192.168.1.1 (modem's IP address) and the range 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.253 in your zonealarm's trusted zone and then check. These are my thoughts.I cannot assure you that this will definitely resolve your problem but no harm in trying.Good luck.

OP
sourav

sourav

In the zone
i connecting to net through tata indicom's wireless connection

anyway, i will again say you the results after seeing this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom